OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

Just Released Intel OpenCL Applications 2017 CPU-only runtime crashes

Achille_P_
Beginner

Hi, 

I just installed the latest update of the OpenCL Applications 2017 SDK (the one released a few days ago) and the experimental OpenCL CPU-runtime is no longer working. When I run clinfo, I got a -11 error on clBuildProgram:

Platform Name:                                 Experimental OpenCL 2.1 CPU Only Platform
Number of devices:                               1
  Device Type:                                   CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU
  Vendor ID:                                     8086h
  Max compute units:                             12
[...]
  Preferred local atomic alignment:              0
5 errors generated.
ERROR: clBuildProgram(-11)

The previous Experimental runtime was working fine. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, I've Visual Studio 2013 installed (I also installed the Intel OpenCL SDK plugins for VS) and also have the Intel OpenCL CPU-only 16.1.1 runtime (in addition to the AMD drivers with respective OpenCL runtimes). 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

I wonder if something was corrupted during install?  There are a few places you could check.

• In Visual Studio: Code-Builder->Platform Info should show your OpenCL implementations, including the Experimental OpenCL 2.1 CPU Only Platform.
  • Do you see intelopencl64_2_1.dll in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors
    as described in https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenCL/extensions/khr/cl_khr_icd.txt?
  • Do you see  intelopencl64_2_1.dll in C:\Windows\System32?

Re-install may get this working.  

0 Kudos
Achille_P_
Beginner

Thanks, I uninstalled the SDK since it also corrupted my VS2013 and I wasn't anymore capable of opening my solutions. 

I think something went quite wrong during the installation, although no errors or warnings were shown. If it can help, I installed the SDK from the Intel Software Manager and not by downloading the SDK as standalone. 

Since I'm working on a corporate machine, I'll live without the SDK for now, which is not strictly required for my tasks. In case I'll reinstall it one day, I'll let you know.

0 Kudos