OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

No OpenCL driver

Vasechkin__Petya
Beginner

Hello.

Machine details:
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Intel Core i5 8600 Coffee Lake
Intel UHD Graphics 630
Motherboard Asus TUF B360M-Plus Gaming

Symptoms:
When I install Intel System Studio 2019 Update 3 Ultimate Edition for Windows, I get message "OpenCL driver is missing or out of date" during installation process. After installation I open Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 and I can't see any information about my OpenCL devices. Please, see the attached pictures.

What I've tried:
I tried to install graphics drivers of different versions from Intel's and Asus' sites. I also tried to install Intel CPU Runtime for OpenCL Applications 18.1 for Windows OS (64bit or 32bit). Nothing helped.

My questions:
Where can I get OpenCL driver? And do I need this driver to write and run OpenCL programms on my computer?

Please, help.

Best regards,

Dima

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi PetyaV,

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

The clinfo feedback suggests the runtimes are in place to execute OpenCL applications.

My reference to Intel NUC was too vague... What is really meant is a first party Intel product... and not an OEM system. Detail:

DCH drivers are a new driver type for the Windows* 10 operating system. Intel started providing DCH drivers around the turn of the year. Typically, users go to a system vendor for the graphics driver. Vendors tend to trail Intel graphics driver releases. They also may have their own versioning schemes. Vendor graphics drivers should be preferred in deference to vendor support agreements related to driver usage. A vendors versioning scheme may make it difficult to determine if it's a DCH driver in particular or not.

Announcement

Faq

Intel System Studio 2019 Update 3: OpenCL Tools is incompatible with the DCH drivers per release notes.

Intel System Studio 2019 Update 4: OpenCL Tools is debuting now. It is compatible with the DCH drivers.

See the OpenCL Developer Portal or the Intel System Studio portal to acquire the new version.

You may also benefit from viewing the video on getting started in Windows* OS here. 

-MichaelC

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi PetyaV,

Thanks for the post and the interest.

• Can you share the name of the Intel System Studio (ISS)+OCL Tools installer executable you're using?
  • Which Intel graphics driver is in place on the system? This version number can be obtained from the Device Manager, clicking on the display adapters and right click properties on the graphics device. The drivers tab should have a version string.
  • For an opencl platform interrogator tool, many users try clinfo available off github precompiled for windows... we can use it to see if the ocl runtimes are setup as intended:
  • To build an x86[-64] host side application with the OpenCL API, strictly speaking an OpenCL implementation is not needed... only the link library for OpenCL and headers.
  • To build a device side application, our subsystem requires either the Intel CPU Runtime for OpenCL Applications or Intel Graphics Compute Runtime for OpenCL Applications... A successful install of SDK tools would have hopefully led you to the document here which may answer some questions.
  • Both of the aforementioned runtimes come with Windows 10 for eligible Intel platforms with Intel Processor Graphics by default.
  • Graphics driver updates are available from the system vendor... they typically repackage the Intel driver... and may only support their packages... check the OEM website.
  • If you're on an Intel NUC style machine or a custom machine... try downloadcenter.intel.com for updated packages... Keep in mind DCH designated drivers are incompatible with 2019 Update 3 developer tools. This was fixed in 2019 Update 4 developer tools. All users are encouraged to move to Update 4 as as soon as possible.
  • Yes, an OpenCL runtime is needed to execute an OpenCL kernel.

Looking forward to provide guidance,

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
Vasechkin__Petya
Beginner

Hello.

Thank you for the answer.

Information about software I installed on my computer:

• Intel System Studio 2019 Update 3. I installed it from standalone full package which I have downloaded from this link. Installer's executable filename is: system_studio_2019.3.063_ultimate_edition_windows_target.exe. I provided screenshot from Microsoft Visual Studio plugin (OpenClCodeBuilderVersion.jpg). Maybe it will useful fro you. Note: when I was installing it, I chose only OpenCl Tools. See screenshot OpenClInstalledSet.jpg.
  • Intel Graphics Driver. I downloaded it from Intel Download Center. The filename is: igfx_win10_100.6890.exe

I did not install anything else.

Information about driver:

• version: 26.20.100.6890
  • date of development: 17th May 2019

Could you, please, explain, what's the difference between "host" and "non-host" platform?

Yes, I red this article. As I understood, in order to develop and run (!) OpenCL applications on my computer, I

• need to choose, on which hardware I will run OpenCL kernels: GPU (Intel UHD 630 in my case) or CPU (hexa-core Intel i5 8600). I've choosen GPU, so I paid attention to Intel Graphics driver, not to Intel CPU Runtime... .
  • need to install GPU OpenCl driver which is part of Intel Graphics Driver.
  • need to install  Intel SDK for OpenCL Apps which is part of intel System Studio.

I went through theese steps. Where have I mistaken?

I tried to install "VGA driver" from Asus' website, but it did not help. Symptoms described in my first message did not disappear.

What do "Intel NUC style machine" and "DCH designated drivers" mean?

Update 4 developer tools? Where can I download it? I downloaded Intel System Studio from Intel's link several days ago, but I got Update 3, not 4.

One more question, please help. What does ioc64 compiler do? I looked at HelloWorld exapmle in Microsoft Visual Studio and I have noticed that kernel file (Template.cl) is processed by this recipe: 

ioc64.exe -cmd=build -input=Template.cl -output="x64\Debug\Template.out" -VS -device=GPU  -targetos=current -bo="           "

But! I haven't find any binary files produced by compiler! Template.out is just log file. So it looks like ioc compiler produces only log files. So what is its purpose?

Please, help.

0 Kudos
Vasechkin__Petya
Beginner

Hello again. I run clinfo program and it saw two OpenCL platforms on my machine: CPU and GPU. This  program showed lots of information about the platforms... I also built and run HelloWorld example which is mounted into Micrtosoft Visual Stuido plugin (Intel Code Builder) and (!) it saw two platforms programmatically... Looks like everything is OK and I can start programming on GPU?

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi PetyaV,

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

The clinfo feedback suggests the runtimes are in place to execute OpenCL applications.

My reference to Intel NUC was too vague... What is really meant is a first party Intel product... and not an OEM system. Detail:

DCH drivers are a new driver type for the Windows* 10 operating system. Intel started providing DCH drivers around the turn of the year. Typically, users go to a system vendor for the graphics driver. Vendors tend to trail Intel graphics driver releases. They also may have their own versioning schemes. Vendor graphics drivers should be preferred in deference to vendor support agreements related to driver usage. A vendors versioning scheme may make it difficult to determine if it's a DCH driver in particular or not.

Announcement

Faq

Intel System Studio 2019 Update 3: OpenCL Tools is incompatible with the DCH drivers per release notes.

Intel System Studio 2019 Update 4: OpenCL Tools is debuting now. It is compatible with the DCH drivers.

See the OpenCL Developer Portal or the Intel System Studio portal to acquire the new version.

You may also benefit from viewing the video on getting started in Windows* OS here. 

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
Vasechkin__Petya
Beginner

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Pritam_B_Intel
Employee

Hi....

My PC details is as follows:
Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2GHz
Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 [version: 26.20.100.7372; Date of development: 25th October 2019]

This is the latest one available for Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers.

But I am facing issue: When I install Intel System Studio 2019 Update 5 for Windows, I get message "OpenCL driver is missing or out of date" during installation process.

Please help me at the earliest.

0 Kudos