OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

OpenCL™ 2.0 is here! Download the Release 2 of Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications 2014

ARNON_P_Intel
Employee

Dear Developers,

We are happy to announce the availability of our latest and most advanced SDK for OpenCL: Release 2 of Intel® SDK for OpenCL SDK 2014 is the industry’s first SDK to provide an OpenCL 2.0 development environment with the new Intel® Core™ M Processors.

This major advance in graphics programmability and accessibility will help you make greater use of the graphics engine to deliver new experiences on Intel-based platforms 

New with SDK 2014 Release 2:

• OpenCL™ 2.0: Support for latest OpenCL standard version 2.0 with shared virtual memory. Start now and write your first OpenCL 2.0 code on your current development platform, simply by using the new OpenCL 2.0 development environment that is installed with the SDK.
  •  
  • Intel® Core™ M Processors: Take advantage of OpenCL 2.0 with the latest Intel® Core™ M processors and future generations of Intel Core processors.
  • SPIR* 1.2: Improve portability and drive innovation with a standard, non-source intermediate representation (IR) for device programs. Supported on both CPU and Intel Graphics.
  • Greater development experience: The SDK provides everything you need to build, debug, and analyze OpenCL application. This release not only adds OpenCL 2.0 and SPIR 1.2 development support, but also adds new preview features for debugging and analyzing applications

Learn more › 

Regards,

Arnon Peleg, OpenCL SDK Product Manager

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Biao_W_
Beginner

Exciting to read this news, when will the processor M be available in the market ?

Can we try the 2.0 on the CPU part of old processor (Haswell and before) ?

Currently I am in Germany

0 Kudos
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee

Hey,

Yes, you can develop and experiment OpenCL 2.0 with your CPU. Just download the SDK.

See more details how to make this work: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/530840

Arnon

0 Kudos
rtfss1gmail_com
Beginner

Hi,

exciting release!

I want to ask about two things:

1. About new OCL 2.0 extensions support: there is a table listing CPU and GPU (in new Core M) support for new 2.0 optional extensions like subgroups and mipmaps.. are going to be supported this two extensions?

2. SPIR2 as provisional extension has been released at Siggraph hope we can see some experimental support on Intel this year.. or is support not coming until next year..

Thanks..

0 Kudos
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee

Thanks,

We will provide a reference manual with what is supported and what is not shortly. At this stage, download the SDK and test the OpenCL 2.0 Development environment on your CPU, this will give some insights to what is supported and what is not.

As for SPIR, I don't have details to share yet on our future support. We really want to see how you guys are using it. If you have a project or app that use SPIR 1.2, please share with us.

Regards,

Arnon

0 Kudos
nep_t_
Beginner

i cannot download the Intel SDK for OpenCL package from this link.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-opencl

i just cliced the "free download" botton on the page, and then it jumped to a registrer page. i filled all info in this page and clicked "Submit" botton. the page is keeping loading and never finishing. tried Firefox/Chrome/IE, encountered same problem.

any comments on this?

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

nep t.,

Sorry you are having problems. I just tried it from inside Intel and everything seems to work fine. I will try from outside shortly and let you know how it goes. You may have encountered temporary issue. Try again and let us know how it worked.

0 Kudos
rtfss1gmail_com
Beginner

Hi,

regarding SPIR 2.0 use it would be for own Intel ISPC project to support Intel GPUs in fact using OpenCL 2.0.. as there is a PTX port (https://github.com/ispc/ispc/pull/749) but requires CUDA dynamic parallelism I contacted developer and said a similar port would be doable in OpenCL 2.0 given we had the kernels can launch kernels feature.. anyway a similar port would require for simplicity to use a low level IR which is SPIR in OCL 2.0 case and as we have already a LLVM SPIR2 experimental backend all needed to test the port is drivers that can consume it so hope it motivates case for SPIR2..

other question is AMD now has OCL 2.0 drivers and seems by SC2014 they would release AMD APP 3.0 SDK with OCL 2.0 samples.. already a closed SDK is under NDA now.. question is if Intel plans to update OCL SDK with 2.0 samples using pipes, kernels launch kernels, SVM, etc.. 

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi rtfss1,

OpenCL 2.0 Shared Virtual Memory sample is here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-20-shared-virtual-memory-code-sample

OpenCL 2.0 device enqueue (kernels launching kernels example) and work group scan functions sample is here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/gpu-quicksort-in-opencl-20-using-nested-parallelism-and-work-group-scan-functions

Avoid using pipes for now.

0 Kudos
rahul_garg
Beginner

I am also wondering which extensions/functionality is supported for OpenCL 2.0 on Core M. Are the new docs available?

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee
----------------------------------------------------------------------- THIS SYSTEM HAS 1 OPENCL PLATFORM(S) INSTALLED ----------------------------------------------------------------------- *********************************************************************** Begin Platform Information *********************************************************************** *********************************************************************** Details for platform 1 of 1: Intel(R) Corporation *********************************************************************** Platform Name: Intel(R) OpenCL Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation Platform Profile: FULL_PROFILE Version: OpenCL 2.0 List of extensions supported: cl_intel_dx9_media_sharing cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_d3d11_sharing cl_khr_depth_images cl_khr_dx9_media_sharing cl_khr_gl_sha ring cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_kh r_icd cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_in t32_extended_atomics cl_khr_spir *********************************************************************** End Platform Information *********************************************************************** *********************************************************************** Begin Per Platform Device Information *********************************************************************** *********************************************************************** Platform: 0, Device 1 of 2, Type: CPU *********************************************************************** Device Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5###U CPU @ 2.20GHz Vendor Name: Intel(R) Corporation Driver Version: 4.2.0.99 Profile: FULL_PROFILE Device Version: OpenCL 2.0 (Build 99) OpenCL C Version: OpenCL C 2.0 …. Extensions: cl_khr_icd cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte _addressable_store cl_khr_spir cl_intel_exec_by_local_thread cl_khr_depth_images cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer cl_khr_fp64 cl_intel_dx9_medi a_sharing cl_khr_dx9_media_sharing cl_khr_d3d11_sharing cl_khr_gl_sharing *********************************************************************** ******************** Platform: 0, Device 1 End ************************ *********************************************************************** *********************************************************************** Platform: 0, Device 2 of 2, Type: GPU *********************************************************************** Device Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 Vendor Name: Intel(R) Corporation Driver Version: 10.18.10.3960 Profile: FULL_PROFILE Device Version: OpenCL 2.0 OpenCL C Version: OpenCL C 2.0 … Extensions: cl_intel_accelerator cl_intel_ctz cl_intel_d3d11_nv12_media_sharing cl_intel_dx9 _media_sharing cl_intel_motion_estimation cl_intel_simultaneous_sharing cl_khr_3 d_image_writes cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_d3d10_sharing cl_khr_d3d11_s haring cl_khr_depth_images cl_khr_dx9_media_sharing cl_khr_gl_depth_images cl_kh r_gl_event cl_khr_gl_msaa_sharing cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_khr_global_int32_base_ato mics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_icd cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_mipma p_image cl_khr_mipmap_image_writes cl_khr_spir *********************************************************************** ******************** Platform: 0, Device 2 End ************************ *********************************************************************** *********************************************************************** End Per Platform Device Information ***********************************************************************
0 Kudos
rahul_garg
Beginner

Great, thanks! Much appreciated. One further question, is there support for fine-grained-buffer and/or fine-grained-system SVM for any device?

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Already released Broadwell based products have coarse grain svm enabled.  Fine grain svm is coming soon.

0 Kudos
Gary_M_1
Beginner

I am trying to get the OpenCL 2.0 Release 2 for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.  The download page gets me this link

http://registrationcenter.intel.com/irc_nas/4667/intel_sdk_for_ocl_applications_2014_ubuntu_4.6.0.92_x64.tgz

but when I download and install that package, the package seems to be incomplete. When I run my OpenCL apps, the platform version shows "OpenCL 1.2 LINUX." The headers are there for 2.0 under /opt/intel, but not the libs or runtime. Then I tried to install

http://registrationcenter.intel.com/irc_nas/4181/opencl_runtime_14.2_x64_4.5.0.8.tgz

but now get ERROR: clGetPlatformIDs(-1001). I'm iterating on fixing the platform installation to get back to a working OpenCL 1.2.

Any instructions and/or hints on getting a working installation for OpenCL 2.0 on Ubuntu would be welcome.

Thanks,

-Gary

0 Kudos
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee

OpenCL 2.0 is supported only on Windows. No support for Linux at this point.

You can either develop on Intel Core M machines (codename Braodwell) or use the OpenCL 2.0 development environment to test the OpenCL 2.0 API on previous generations of Intel CPUs.

Arnon

0 Kudos
Carlos_B_1
Beginner

We are installing Opencv 3.0. We would like to add OpenCL support.
Before building the library, we get the following:

--   OpenCL:
--     Version:                     dynamic
--     Include path:                /opencv-3.1.0/3rdparty/inc

Is there an Intel OpenCL 2.0 runtime library we that can use to build OpenCV with OpenCL support? And under what license does Intel offer such library? Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Carlos,

Arnon's answer still stands: we don't have OpenCL 2.0 supported on Linux yet (I assume that's what you are running), but we are working really hard to bring it up very soon on Linux. That said, what is your processor, OS combo?

0 Kudos