OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

OpenCL Runtime 15.1 won't reinstall

francesco_c_1
Beginner

Hi guys,

I have the following problem with opencl_runtime_15.1_x64_setup.msi:

the first time I install it everything is smooth. If I uninstall it from program and features and try to install it again I get: "A higher version of the OpenCL runtime is already installed" and the wizard won't go forward. The problem is that actually NO runtime is anymore installed.

The issue occurs even if I reboot after the unistallation.

I am running Windows 10 64 bit. I know you have some problems on laptops (because the integrated graphic card) but this behavior is reported even on a fresh-installation of Windows 10 in Oracle Virtual Box latest version.

Any hint?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Francesco,

What chip do you have? And if you have a chip with Intel(R) Processor Graphics, the graphics driver will have CPU and GPU device, so why do you need a standalone CPU OpenCL runtime then?

1. You probably don't need a standalone CPU OpenCL runtime. Just update to the latest graphics driver here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ and you should be fine.

2. If you really want to install that particular package, go ahead and completely uninstall the graphics driver and then install the package.

0 Kudos
francesco_c_1
Beginner

Dear Robert,

many thanks for Your kind reply.
The problem is not limited to my machine. We're developers and it is mandatory for us to install the runtime in order to support as much as possible our customer's devices (e.g. XEON).

We're even really looking forward to update to 5.2. The problem is that such version is so far not available in any runtime but only with some models of Intel graphic cards driver.
And again, we HAVE TO install the runtime for the reasons above. Why don't You make it available? This issue has been raised some months ago here as well:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/opencl/topic/595288

In any case, You'll agree with me that is NOT normal that a package (whatever it is!) cannot be installed again after it has been removed.

My best,
Francesco

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Francesco,

1. For the processors with Intel(R) Processor Graphics you should use CPU and GPU devices that come with the graphics driver

2. For the processors lacking Intel(R) Processor Graphics (like most versions of Xeon), you should install the standalone CPU driver.

3. Standalone CPU driver and graphics driver don't play well with each other as has been noted in the post above.

4. I am not sure whether we will have a standalone CPU runtime update any time soon.

Given above, you should figure out whether the processor that you are deploying to has an integrated graphics prior to installing CPU runtime, and don't install it if processor graphics is present.

0 Kudos
francesco_c_1
Beginner

Dear Robert,

many thanks for Your clarification about the drivers.

Could You please answer to the uninstallation problem?

0 Kudos
Valter_D_
Beginner

Dear Robert,

I also need an answer to francesco's question because I have the same issue.

Urgent need please

Valter

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Francesco, Walter,

I think the uninstallation issue happens because standalone CPU OpenCL runtime and graphics driver (which has both CPU and GPU runtime) don't play well with each other. On processors with the Intel(R) Processor Graphics you don't need to install standalone CPU OpenCL runtime - installing the latest and greatest graphics driver should take care of the CPU OpenCL as well. On Xeons without Intel(R) Processor Graphics you should not have this issue. If you don't intend to run OpenCL on Intel(R) Processor Graphics and just want to use CPU OpenCL runtime for some reason, you will need to uninstall the graphics driver first (and change the settings of the OS, so it will not automatically reinstall itself) and then install CPU OpenCL runtime.

0 Kudos
francesco_c_1
Beginner

Hi Robert,

thanks for Your reply.

"On Xeons without Intel(R) Processor Graphics you should not have this issue."

Unfortunately, I confirm the issue exist. It occures also on a clean Virtual Box machine which definitely does not have Intel(R) Processor Graphics card.

If we cannot solve this, I regret to say that we'll not to re-distribute the runtime anymore and we'll be forced to suggest our customers to install  Intel(R) competitor's opecl driver...

This is a big pity.

Best,

Francesco

0 Kudos