OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

Problems with lgamma value on HD 4000/4400

Ting_Q_
Beginner

I have developed a probabilistic sampling program that made use of the "lgamma" function in OpenCL. The program runs normally on most platforms, including Intel's CPU using Intel's OpenCL driver. However, on the integrated HD 4000 and HD 4400, the program fails to produce the correct values. After a little debugging, I've identified that the value of the "lgamma" function is computed incorrectly when the OpenCL program is run on HD 4000/4400. The problem exists under Windows 7, 8, and 10 (preview), using the latest graphics driver (ver. 4098, dated 1/19/2015).

It seems that the problem has been reported before:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/468324

I don't have HD 5000 and up for testing. So I can't say much about those parts.

Under Linux, this problem doesn't exist using the open source Beignet package. So this doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

We would greatly appreciate a fix since this problem has prevented us from deploying our toolkit to any users with only intel HD gpus.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Ting,

Thank you for reporting this issue: it is indeed a problem, even on HD 5200. I filed a high priority bug. Meanwhile, please use log(tgamma()) as a workaround. Sorry for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos
Ting_Q_
Beginner

Thanks, Robert! I'll use the workaround for now (which will overflow quickly though since the gamma function can produce very large results). Looking forward to a driver update.

0 Kudos
Ting_Q_
Beginner

Hi Robert, I have got a chance to test lgamma on an Macbook Air with HD 5000 today. It suffers from the same bug too. Just to let you know that this might not be restricted to Windows.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Ting,

The fix for the lgamma issue will be available in the next driver release (somewhere around beginning of June). For Mac OSX issue, you should file an issue w/ Apple, since they build their own drivers, even though we provide the backend: not sure about their driver release timelines.

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos