OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

RHEL6.5 + E3-1284L v3 advice needed

Daniel_P_5
Beginner

Hi !

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to get OpenCL working with GPU support on RHEL 6.5 with E3-1284L v3 proc (Iris GPU) and C226 chipset. I've noticed that the official support is only for Cent OS 7.1 but unfortunately I have other software that restricts me to RHEL6.5/RHEL6.6

I'm only looking for "runtime" type of capability, so I can basically run OpenCL applications on these nodes and they don't have any monitors connected. These are HP m710 cartridges. 

I've tried so far various packages from your website without success (its a little confusing the number of packages you have for OpenCL and their role). My best guess so far is to use the Media Server Studio R6 for Linux. I've tried it twice using the "generic" OS install on 2 different nodes. Build goes fine but then I cannot enumerate any platforms. I keep getting Error -1001 in clGetPlatformIDs Call! The .icd file is in the correct place (/etc/OpenCL/vendors/intel.icd) and points to the correct file (/opt/intel/opencl/libIntelOpenCL.so)

Have a nice day,

Dani

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Dani,

We will have a standalone Linux driver for the GPU ready within 1 or 2 weeks, so watch this space :) Hopefully, the generic package there will work better for you though RHEL is still an unsupported platform.

If the package that we will release would not work for you, the other alternative is to use the open source Beignet driver http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Beignet/

The number of OpenCL packages is confusing, since we have them for CPU, Xeon Phi, and soon for the GPU. You actually did pick the right package :)

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Hi Dani,

As Robert mentioned, RHEL 6.5 isn't a "Gold" configuration so it isn't officially supported.  However, I suspect you're close to getting this to work.  Generic install is the way to do it, though as I recall there are some other steps like updating GCC with a developer toolset.

There is a tool called setup_inspector.py in the SDK2015*/CentOS/intel-opencl-1.2*.tar.gz tarball.  That can provide some helpful hints.

You probably also want to start out your tests running as root.  Also, if you can run some of the Media SDK samples in hardware mode this will give more evidence that the driver and stack are set up properly.

0 Kudos
Daniel_P_5
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check back in 1-2 weeks. I've tried the setup inspector and it looks OK to me. Here's the output:

[root@r01wn01 CentOS]# ./setup_inspector.py
Starting setup inspector version 1.0.3
 [ INFO ] Linux Kernel matches supported configuration - 3.14.5
 [ INFO ] Render node enabled with user access rights on -/dev/dri/renderD128
 [ INFO ] 64 bit archtecture supported
 [ INFO ] i915 module is loaded
 [ INFO ] Linux Kernel i915 module contains vmap/userptr functionality
 [ INFO ] Linux Kernel i915 module contains i915_cmd_parser functionality
 [ INFO ] libIntelOpenCL found in package - /opt/intel/opencl/libIntelOpenCL.so
 [ INFO ] libIntelOpenCL found in package - /opt/intel/opencl/libIntelOpenCL.so.16
 [ INFO ] libIntelOpenCL found in package - /opt/intel/opencl/libIntelOpenCL.so.16.4.0
 [ INFO ] intel.icd contains icd entry: /opt/intel/opencl/libIntelOpenCL.so
 [ INFO ] No nomodeset in kernel startup
 [ INFO ] Warning: System does not have supported gcc version - 4.8.3
 [ TIP ] Install matching gcc compiler
 [ INFO ] Warning: System does not have supported glibc version - 2.17
 [ TIP ] Install matching glibc package
 [ INFO ] Required ocl package is installed in the system
 [ INFO ] Linux OpenCL is installed properly on this platform
    [ OK ]

I'll check the Beignet driver next.

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Dani,

The new standalone OpenCL driver is now available here https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#latest_linux_driver - could you try it before Beignet and let me know whether that worked for you.

0 Kudos
Daniel_P_5
Beginner

Got it working with RHEL 7.1 using the standalone OpenCL driver. Would be nice not to have to patch the kernel (lengthy process that needs many packages). Now I'll see if I can get it working on RHEL 6.5.

By the way, is there any sample code that does compression on OpenCL ? Gzip would be great.

Have a  nice day,

Dani

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Dani,

Great to hear that it worked for RHEL 7.1. Let me know how RHEL 6.5 worked out for you.

On compression: not that I know off, but looks like there are a lot of articles on the topic: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=compression%20in%20opencl

0 Kudos
Daniel_P_5
Beginner

Is this driver only for GPUs and I need a different one for CPUs ?  I have E3-1284L v3  procs

Here's my capsbasic output:

[root@r01wn02 CapsBasic]# ./capsbasic
Number of available platforms: 1
Platform names:
    [0] Intel(R) OpenCL [Selected]
Number of devices available for each type:
    CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU: 0
    CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU: 1
    CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR: 0

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Daniel,

Yes, unfortunately, this driver is for the GPU only. You will need to download a separate CPU driver, which will have the same platform name :(

We are working on getting the CPU and the GPU drivers shipped together and interoperate properly, with luck it should happen in the first half of the year.

0 Kudos