OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

Virtualbox and __ocl_svml_u8.so

Jori_Mäntysalo
Beginner

OpenCL application on Fedora 20 on host machine works, and strace says that it loads __ocl_svml_e9.so. On vmachine inside Virtualbox the program fails at clCreateContext; strace says it doesn't find __ocl_svml_u8.so.

/proc/cpuinfo at host machine says that model name is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, stepping is 9 and cpuid level is 13. On virtual machine cpuid level is 5. Is this related?

Is there some deep problem with OpenCL and virtualization? If not, known problem  with Virtualbox?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Yuri_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Jori, One possible reason could be the absence of SSE4.1 instructions inside the guest OS. Please see the corresponding ticket - https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8651. It has been updated just a few days ago - you need to use the latest VirtualBox RC to give it a try. This is just a suggestion though, i didn't check it myself. Please, post the results here. Thanks, Yuri
0 Kudos
Jori_Mäntysalo
Beginner

That was it. Thanks!

However, page at http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-sdk-frequently-asked-questions#14 says "support - - is limited to - - SSE 4.1 or higher." After VBoxManage setextradata name-of-vmachine VBoxInternal/CPUM/SSE4.1 1 it didn't work. Anyways, same with SSE4.2 makes this to work.

Another thing, isn't there some kind of bug? Some code refers to non-existing .so -file.

0 Kudos
Yuri_K_Intel
Employee
Thanks for following up. I have created a ticket to resolve the issues with non-existing .so file and documentation (SSE 4.1 vs 4.2). Thanks, Yuri
0 Kudos