OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

Which version of visual studio do I need?

Gang_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Latest OpenCL SDK seems to work best as VS plugin because, when I open up code-builder gui, the first thing it says is "deprecated".

However, which version of visual studio do I need?  Can I use express version of visual studio? I tried visual studio express 2012, it does not work. I cannot see the popup for converting a project to an opencl project! 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Gang,

For the latest version of the SDK we recommend to use MS Visual Studio 2015, but MS Visual Studio 2012 should work as well. Do you see the following menu item:

Code-Builder.png

0 Kudos
Gang_C_Intel
Employee

It does not work for me.  I installed visual studio first, then installed "Intel SDK for OpenCL for windows 2016". I do not see code-builder on the menu as you showed.

I am using the "express 2013", which is a free version from Microsoft. Not the professional version. Maybe that is the problem?

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Gang,

I will ask our development team whether express version should work. If you have access to the professional version, better use that since I know for sure that things should work in professional and ultimate editions.

Have you tried Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs.aspx ?

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Gang,

Here is the answer from our development team:

Microsoft made a business decision to not allow 3rd party extensibility in Express editions of Visual Studio.

Therefore, our Visual Studio plugin is NOT supported on Visual Studio 2012 Express editions.

The community versions (which is available in VS 2013 and 2015) support extensions so the tool should work on such versions.

Having said that – our recommendation is to work with the profession\ultimate versions of Visual Studio, if possible. Since most of our validation was done on these versions.

0 Kudos
Gang_C_Intel1
Employee

Yes, I can get code-builder features with Visual Studio 2015 Community. Thanks

0 Kudos