OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

Will OpenCL SDK work on my Dell Inspiron N5040 laptop?

Jack_T_1
Beginner

I am interested in using my Dell Inspiron N5040 for GPU-based OpenCL work.  According to the Device Manager, it has "Intel(R) HD Graphics" inside.  Alas, the common problem with laptops, of course, is that drivers are crazy specific.  Are there OpenCL drivers for this system?  If so, how do I find them?  Front-line Dell technical support couldn't grasp the difference between OpenCL and OpenGL so I have my doubts as to whether they'll be able to help me.  I imagine the SDK will let me run OpenCL on the CPU but that's not quite the point here.

Thanks in advance!

Jack.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Raghupathi_M_Intel
I believe you have i3-390M processor in your system, which doesnt support OpenCL on GPU. Raghu
0 Kudos
Jack_T_1
Beginner
Windows identifies the CPU as i3 M 380, which is possibly a little less awesome than the one you mentioned. :-) http://forum.byte-welt.net/showthread.php?t=3471 shows an example of my CPU running OpenCL on the CPU proper, so I might give that a try. Thanks! Jack.
0 Kudos