OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

clGetPlatformIDs() returns -1001

ad1
Beginner

I have installed the latest intel opencl sdk 2012

However the application stops at the point when it calls clGetPlatformIDs()

The function returns -1001

I can confirm that registry keys point correctly to IntelOpenCL32/64.dll, and the files exist in the system path

My CPU is i5-2500K

The same program runs fine on another pc with AMD opencl driver and i3 cpu

Please help and advise

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner

Anton,

-1001 = CL_PLATFORM_NOT_FOUND_KHR, and is returned when clGetPlatformIDs() sees no platforms available. Obviously, you are trying to execute your code on the Intel HD graphics. Can you list the driver version you are using?

- Chuck

0 Kudos
ad1
Beginner

Chuck,

I want to run my code on CPU. I understand that it should be possible.

The idea is to have a CPU-fallback option when there is no compliant GPU, which is the case with sandy bridge.

More info: on the 2nd machine, with working amd opencl, I also installed intel opencl, and guess what? It still shows only amd platform.

I think I have the latest driver (maybe late 2012)

0 Kudos
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner

Anton,

That is interesting. This is on Windows? Which version? 32 or 64 bit? If you install the GPU Caps viewer, what platform does it show you?

- Chuck

0 Kudos
ad1
Beginner

Chuck,

Windows 7 x64.

Driver 8.15.10.2696, apparently 3/19/2012

0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

Anton,

What does GPU Caps viewer show under "OpenCL"?

Raghu

0 Kudos
ad1
Beginner

Chuck,

I updated my driver to 12'2012 and now it works fine

Thanks for the hint

Don't worry, I have already slapped myself for not having the latest driver :/

0 Kudos
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner

Anton,

No problem. Glad to here it is working for you.

- Chuck

0 Kudos
ad1
Beginner

Chuck,

BTW do I understand correctly that I need to have intel graphics driver istalled (and probably to have intel graphics enabled in bios and device manager) for intel opencl to run on CPU?

0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

No that's not true. You can just install the CPU runtime to expose the OpenCL CPU device. I am guessing there was some other problem with your previous installation and the runtime probably didnt detect your device.

0 Kudos