OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

Can I get an older version of the SDK for older hardware?

davidwilliams81
Beginner
Hi,

I have just downloaded the latest OpenCL SDK (1.5) and found that it doesn't work with my hardware. It seems that the SDK requires SSE 4.1 or higher. According to CPU-Z, my Intel Celeron M 530 only provides 'MMX, SSE (1, 2, 3, 3S), EM64T'.

Will an earlier version of the OpenCL SDK work with this older hardware, and if so where can I download it? It doesn't matter how fast it runs as I just want to experiment really.

Otherwise do I have any other options? I assume I can't use the AMD or NVidia SDK's unless I have their hardware. Is there a pure software implementation somewhere?

Thanks,

David
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee
Right, this version of the SDK supportsIntel Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.1 (Intel SSE 4.1) or higher. This was the case for previous versions as well, so downloading older software will not help.
Other CPU HW vendors do support OpenCL on the CPU that may run on Intel CPU, you will need to talk directly with those vendors to see if it support your HW.
Regards,
Arnon
IntelCorporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee
Right, this version of the SDK supportsIntel Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.1 (Intel SSE 4.1) or higher. This was the case for previous versions as well, so downloading older software will not help.
Other CPU HW vendors do support OpenCL on the CPU that may run on Intel CPU, you will need to talk directly with those vendors to see if it support your HW.
Regards,
Arnon
IntelCorporation
0 Kudos
davidwilliams81
Beginner
Thanks for the information. It seems it is indeed possible to use the OpenCL SDK of another CPU manufacturer and have it work with Intel hardware. I haven't tsted extensively yet but it appears promising so far.
0 Kudos
Jim_Vaughn
Beginner
David,

I can confirm that using other vendor's OpenCL compilers do work on processors with SSE 3+ but it may be better to check the other developers forum as they will be able to provide more information on their implementation. The problem with this solution is there is not support from other vendors running on hardware which they do not create so you may run into issues that will be difficult to explain and will have a low priority to be fixed.
0 Kudos