OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

Getting started with openCL on N2820

Alisha_H_
Beginner

Hi,

I have been doing openCL on CPU- (discrete)GPU systems  from NVIDIA and AMD. 

Now I want to try  it on Intel Architecture.  

I will be getting a Intel Celeron N2820 NUC Kit DN2820FYKH Mini PC soon.

I understand that this has an SoC with CPU and GPU :  Intel® Celeron® Processor N2820 processor.

Dies this PC meets requirement for compiling and running OpenCL ?

What are the supported OS ?

Thanks in advance for answering my query.   

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee

Yes, this processor supports OpenCL. 

For system requirements and target OS, check the SDK release notes: https://software.intel.com/articles/intel-sdk-for-opencl-applications-release-notes#sysreq. You can see there that Intel® Celeron® Processor J1000/N2000 Series are supported.

Please note that the N2820 features the Bay Trail platform with Intel Atom processor and with Intel HD Graphics. For much better compute performance on Intel graphics, you may consider to use Intel Core processor based NUK kits.

Regards

Arnon

0 Kudos
Alisha_H_
Beginner

Arnon Peleg (Intel) wrote:

Yes, this processor supports OpenCL. 

For system requirements and target OS, check the SDK release notes: https://software.intel.com/articles/intel-sdk-for-opencl-applications-re.... You can see there that Intel® Celeron® Processor J1000/N2000 Series are supported.

Please note that the N2820 features the Bay Trail platform with Intel Atom processor and with Intel HD Graphics. For much better compute performance on Intel graphics, you may consider to use Intel Core processor based NUK kits.

Regards

Arnon

Thanks for your quick answer Amon!!

Can you tell me what Intel Core processor based NUK kits are available in India ?   And why it will have more performance than Bay Trail? 

0 Kudos
Alisha_H_
Beginner

Another question is N2000 series supports OpenCL 1.2 or not ? 

In the link you mentions, I found the following:

OpenCL 1.2 features are supported on all generations of the Intel Core processors and the Intel Xeon processors.

Does that mean OpenCL 1.2 is not supported on N2000 series?  

0 Kudos
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee

Yes, it supports OpenCL 1.2

Arnon

0 Kudos
Alisha_H_
Beginner
HI Amon, I got my NUC (2820 ) today. Now I will try running opencl applicatio I had a hard drive (took out from an old laptop) with Ubuntu 12.04, and windows 7. I can easily boot in Ubuntu. But Windows reaches to blue screen of death. I think I need to re-install. I will sort out this For the time being can you tell me procedure for graphics driver for opencl installation on linux and widows ?
0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

Please note that we don't have OpenCL support on Linux. For windows graphics driver try the link http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect.

0 Kudos
Alisha_H_
Beginner

@Raghu, Thanks for the info. Since Intel is new to me, thats is why I have so many naive questions .

Well I bought the DN2820 kit Day before yesterday. I did not have any HDMI monitor so I bought one HDMI to VGA converter.

Now I can see flickers on the VGA monitor. Some times it is not there, but when it starts, it keeps on increasing, ultimately display is dead.

The converter is heated during the process. Then I unplug the converter and keep it for cooling.

Then I replug it , and works fine for few minutes, may be 10 minutes. Then again flickering starts.

I checked this on two Monitors. One by AOC and another by Moserbaer.

The flickering starts right from the begining of the bios. My question is:

Is  it a fault in the HDMI to VGA converter ? What could be the reason for this?   .              

0 Kudos
Alisha_H_
Beginner

Well I think I am not alone with display issue:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/39881?start=165&tstart=0

The last message is dated Jun 16, 2014 11:00 AM. 

Has Intel been able to sort out this issue ? 

My problem is sometime the display never comes so any kind of debugging becomes almost impossible for me.

0 Kudos
Dmitry_K_Intel
Employee

Just a small correction: Intel does not support OpenCL for GPU on Linux but does support OpenCL for CPU.

0 Kudos