OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

HD4000 OpenCL Profiling.

LLess
Beginner

Hi,

I was wondering if Intel had any tool to do some profiling of the HD4000 when using OpenCL.

My application is OpenGL based so the Intel GPA just doesn't pick it up at all.

(Running on Win7 x64).

Laurent

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee

Good point,

You can start with the System Analyzer tool. It is true that more data is available for DX applications, but there are some great options for any applications. Use this article: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/collecting-opencl-related-metrics-with-intel-graphics-performance-analyzers

We will increase the coverage of the tools in the upcoming releases.

Thanks,

Arnon

0 Kudos
LLess
Beginner

Hi Arnon,

Well I tried that but the only thing appearing in the System Analyzer are the CPU (Frequency and Load) and Power metrics.

I think that my program falls into the Console type because it doesn't have a DirectX window. I wonder if I can hook a fake one doing nothing to go around that...

Laurent

0 Kudos
LLess
Beginner

Hi Arnon,

(not sure what happened to my previous answer so posting again)

Well when connecting the System Analyzer tool to my application it showed only CPU and Power metrics.

So I took the code from D3D Tutorial 02 Vertices and added that to my application. It creates a small D3D Windows in addition to my MFC application.

I can now see the DirectX and GPU metrics but there is no GPU Memory Write/Read metrics at all there. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

I have the R5 version of GPA (info attached )

Laurent

0 Kudos
LLess
Beginner

Here is the list of metrics I am seeing in the GPA System analyser.

It is quite different from the list shown in the article you pointed me at.

Laurent

0 Kudos
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner

Looks like the Memory metrics are not showing up in the tool. What is your driver version?

0 Kudos
LLess
Beginner

Hi Chuck,

I think that I have the latest available. Please see the report generated by the display tool.

Thanks.

Laurent

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

To see memory metrics you'll also need to enable a special BIOS option for the HD4000 system, as described in the Intel GPA online help:

On Intel® HD Graphics 4000/2500: to access metrics marked with the asterisk (*), you must explicitly enable the Intel(R) Graphics Performance Analyzers option in your BIOS settings:

1. Select Advanced

2. Select System Agent (SA) Configuration

3. Select Graphics Configuration

4. Reboot your machine

If the BIOS on your system does not include the Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers option, update your BIOS to the latest version from Intel. After completing your performance monitoring activity, we recommend that you disable the Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers BIOS option and reboot your machine.

If this doesn't work, please let me know and I'll do some more research on this.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
LLess
Beginner

Hi Neal,

Thanks for the info but unfortunately my BIOS doesn't seem to have the option.

I have the latest bios for my Asus P8Z68-V PRO too.

I can see the Select Graphics Configuration but there is nothing in it for GPA.

Best Regards,

Laurent

0 Kudos