OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications 2016, now with GPU debugging, is released!

Robert_I_Intel
Employee

I am glad to announce the availability of Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications 2016 for Windows*, CentOS*, and Ubuntu*. Please visit https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-opencl to download the version for your platform. For details check out Release Notes.

New Features

• Beta release of Source and Assembly level GPU Kernel Debugging on Windows* operating system
    • Seamless debugging experience of OpenCL Kernels as they are being executed on Intel® Processor Graphics with real-time inspection of variable and registers across the hardware execution units threads
    • Supported by GDB and Microsoft* Visual Studio 2015
    • Supported only on 6th Generation Intel Core™ Processors with Intel Iris™, Intel Iris Pro and HD Graphics
  •  Standalone distribution of Intel® SDK for OpenCL Applications for Linux* including standalone OpenCL driver for 5th and 6th Generation Intel® Core Processors with Intel Iris™ Pro and HD Graphics.
    • Including support for open source implementation of the OpenCL specification for Intel Processor Graphics (https://01.org/beignet)
    • Advanced features set in Kernel Development Framework – Eclipse plug-in
  • Full support for Microsoft* Visual Studio 2015 (added missing features)
  • New kernel and host level analysis features
    • New kernel analysis report with compute matrices and deep level analysis views in Kernel Development Framework
    • SVM support and Build from Binary in Kernel Development Framework
    • Cross mapping support in Intel Processor Graphics assembly view (from assembly code to OpenCL code)
    • UI improvement and functional stabilizations
  • Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications 2016 includes all the features for OpenCL development for Android and Windows* previously available in Intel® INDE OpenCL™ Code Builder 2015 R2 and all features for Linux* development which available in Code Builder for Intel® Media Server Studio.
  • For a full list of features, see the Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications Developer Guide.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
rtfss1gmail_com
Beginner

From release notes:

"Standalone distribution of Intel® SDK for OpenCL Applications for Linux* including standalone OpenCL driver for 5th and 6th Generation Intel® Core Processors with Intel Iris™ Pro and HD Graphics. "

so the standalone Linux driver in 2016 SDK supports 6th gen Skylake iGPU vs the driver announced three weeks ago ("Announcing Standalone OpenCL™ 1.2 Driver for Intel® HD, Iris™, and Iris™ Pro Graphics for Linux (64-bit)")  that didn't support it?

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

The open source version of the driver (Beignet) on 01.org supports 6th Generation Intel® Core Processors with Intel Iris™ Pro and HD Graphics.

The standalone driver supports 4th and 5th Gen processors.

The SDK supports both drivers.

Sorry for the confusion!

0 Kudos
Jakub_S_
Beginner

Hi,

Is there any way to perform a silent installation from cmd/ps in Windows?

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Jacub,

Try to run intel_sdk_for_opencl_setup_6.0.0.1049.exe with -? or --help options - explore the command line options available to you.

0 Kudos
jayesh_t_
Beginner

hi sir 

my system : Windows 7(x64), 2gb ram , Intel® HD Graphics 2000 for 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors .

Now can i run Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications 2016 in my laptop 

Thank's in advance 

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Jayesh,

You will be able to run it, but you should only be able to use it for the CPU OpenCL runtime, as we don't support OpenCL on the 2nd Gen processor GPU.

0 Kudos
franck_h_
Beginner

What is the difference between beignet (https://01.org/beignet/downloads) and the intel SDK (https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-opencl/download) you propose ? They are meant to reach the same goal, right ? Looks like beignet is open source and intel SDK is not : what beignet (SDK) offers that the SDK (beignet) do not ? Is beignet "ahead" of the SDK (expermenting things for the later SDK) ? Are they independant ?... If yes, why, what's the point ?

Franck

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Hi Franck,

The Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and related drivers/runtimes are recommended for the most up to date features, tools, and development environment on the latest hardware.  SDK and driver components are in separate packages.  For more info: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers.

Beignet is a separate project with a different goal: open source OpenCL GPU access for a broader range of HW and OSes, including many older platforms.  Features are not expected to match and neither is a "preview" for the other.  Beignet provides components for compiling and running OpenCL applications but is not intended to work with the rich set of developer features provided in Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications.

0 Kudos