OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

Knights Corner and OpenCL

Jim_Vaughn
Beginner
Will OpenCL be the preferd method for programming Knights Corner devices or OpenMP or both?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nagy-Egri__Mate_Fere
New Contributor I
I'm very much interested in this info too. Some feedback on this would be apreciated.
0 Kudos
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee
Intel Many Integrated Core Architecture (Intel MIC Architecture) offers general purpose programmability based ona common tool set and parallelization methodologies with our mainstream Intel Xeon microprocessors. More info on Intel MIC can be found here. I also suggest you to go to the Intel Server Developer Community.
The IntelSDK for OpenCL Applications 2012 supports Intel Xeon processors. Intel has not announced OpenCL support for any otherarchitecture beyond what is available today.
0 Kudos
rahul_garg
Beginner
Well, check out this interview of Yariv Aridor, who Intel says is leading the OpenCL implementation on MIC architecture :)

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2011/07/27/discussing-intels-opencl-with-technical-lead-yariv-aridor-parallel-programming-talk-117/

So I think OpenCL is very likely coming to MIC.

(Note: I am not associated with Intel in anyway, nor do I have any inside info)
0 Kudos
rahul_garg
Beginner
Wondering if there is an update to the situation now. Really hoping that MIC supports OpenCL.
0 Kudos