OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

Many install issues - why so complicated?

trollip__ryan
Beginner

I've been trying to get your software set up on two machines. No success on either, didn’t expect a simple SDK install to take two days. 

One is a 2 chip xeon server and the other a laptop with a latest gen i9. Many different issues (does anyone test this stuff before the release it?)

On the laptop visual studio integration does not work. I’ve tried uninstalling and installing a few times now. Rebuilt VS etc. etc. same issue:

Get the error on startup that intelcommonpkg did not load correctly

Ativaty log says: “SetSite failed for package [IntelCommonPkg]Source: 'Intel.CommonTools' Description: Could not load file or assembly 'Intel.Misc.Utilities, Version=19.0.16.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5caa3becd8c4c9ee' or one of its dependencies”

After Installing the opencl driver on both machines it’s not recognized by the SDK install, laptop says for me to manually install, followed your crazy regedit, copy DLL manual instructions and still not recognizing driver on install…. How to fix this?

Was looking to port CUDA code to OpenCL but this is starting to look like a bad idea.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi RyanT,

Thanks for the report.

I have not observed the particular issue you've mentioned.

*Which version of Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications are you using? Are you using a full Intel® System Studio installer or a standalone installer to deploy the OpenCL™ Development tools?

** Can you try 2019 Update 4?

* How did the SDK install alert you that it is not recognizing driver install? Is there some sort of error or warning message that you can share?

* Can you share the activity log info as described on this article? If not, we may be able to follow up off the forum.

*Can you share how and/or when the laptop says for you to manually install?

On deploying a suitable driver package:

*What Intel® Xeon® system vendor and models are you deploying on?

Do the Intel® Xeon® devices match any of these? *edit for full list*:

• Intel® HD Graphics 500
  • Intel® HD Graphics 505
  • Intel® HD Graphics 510
  • Intel® HD Graphics 515
  • Intel® HD Graphics 520
  • Intel® HD Graphics 530
  • Intel® HD Graphics 610
  • Intel® HD Graphics 615
  • Intel® HD Graphics 620
  • Intel® HD Graphics 630
  • Intel® HD Graphics for 6th Generation Intel® Processors
  • Intel® HD Graphics P530
  • Intel® HD Graphics P630
  • Intel® Iris® Graphics 540
  • Intel® Iris® Graphics 550
  • Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 640
  • Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 645
  • Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 650
  • Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 655
  • Intel® Iris® Pro Graphics 580
  • Intel® Iris® Pro Graphics P580
  • Intel® UHD Graphics 600
  • Intel® UHD Graphics 605
  • Intel® UHD Graphics 610
  • Intel® UHD Graphics 615
  • Intel® UHD Graphics 617
  • Intel® UHD Graphics 620
  • Intel® UHD Graphics 630
  • Intel® UHD Graphics P630
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1505L v5 (8M Cache, 2.00 GHz)
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1505M v5 (8M Cache, 2.80 GHz)
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1515M v5 (8M Cache, 2.80 GHz)
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1535M v5 (8M Cache, 2.90 GHz)
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1545M v5 (8M Cache, 2.90 GHz)
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1558L v5 (8M Cache, 1.90 GHz)
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1565L v5 (8M Cache, 2.50 GHz)
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1575M v5 (8M Cache, 3.00 GHz)
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1578L v5 (8M Cache, 2.00 GHz)
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1585 v5 (8M Cache, 3.50 GHz)
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1585L v5 (8M Cache, 3.00 GHz)

If so, consider deploying the CPU/GFX combo runtime provided by the vendor.

If these are custom built systems, consider deploying the CPU/GFX combo runtime provided by the downloadcenter.intel.com reference above.

Which Intel® Core­™ i9 system are you using? Can you share the vendor and model number?

If the processor has Intel® Graphics Technology, the same runtime deployment guidance as above applies.

If the Intel® Xeon® processors fall outside this category or the Intel® Core™ systems do not have Intel® Graphics Technology then please look to deploy the Intel® CPU Runtime for OpenCL™ Applications. This runtime is available with the OpenCL™ Tools as installed from the SDK or from the Intel® portal as a standalone package.

• The Tools included CPU runtime will not install if the CPU runtime from elsewhere is detected.

On the SDK:

Logs can help for Intel review... can they be attached to this thread? Here are their locations. If the logs can't be shared here we can solicit them otherwise. Please let me know.

SDK/OCL tools installer logs: %TEMP%/pset_<characters>_<username> directory.

VS logs: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\<Version_of_vs>

* Can a screen shot of the intelcommonpkg error be posted to this thread?

As a last effort to build and link without an SDK, users can reference the OpenCL-ICD-Loader Github. The required interrogation library can be built from source if needed.

I can report the feedback you’ve provided to the Tools dev team at Intel once if I get some device SKU specifics. If you can provide more collateral, I’d like to add it for that ticket.

Thanks,

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
trollip__ryan
Beginner

>>*Which version of Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications are you using? Are you using a full Intel® System Studio installer or a standalone ??>>installer to deploy the OpenCL™ Development tools?

latest Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications from here 

>> ** Can you try 2019 Update 4?

I'm using the latest intel_sdk_for_opencl_applications_2019.4.314

>>* How did the SDK install alert you that it is not recognizing driver install? Is there some sort of error or warning message that you can share?

See next post

>>Can you share the activity log info

See next post

>>*Can you share how and/or when the laptop says for you to manually install?

Same as above driver missing message (on both), manual install indicated in install of SDK as a missing dependency (see attached)

>>On deploying a suitable driver package:

Server:

Processor 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10GHz, 2101 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

Board: BaseBoard Product Z10PE-D8 WS

3 x GE Force GTX 1080 ti

Laptop: Specifications here

9th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-9980HK (16MB Cache, up to 5.0 GHz, 8 cores)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5

>>The Tools included CPU runtime will not install if the CPU runtime from elsewhere is detected.

I have cuda toolkit installed, would that conflict?

>>* Can a screen shot of the intelcommonpkg error be posted to this thread?

See next post 

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

RyanT,

Thanks for some of the details and the follow up questions.

*Intel® System Studio 2019 optionally contains the OpenCL developer tools as part of it's developer tools suite. It's also available as a standalone. Both suite and standalone are available from the Choose Download in link you provided. From the file name you have, it suggests you are installing from the standalone 2019 update 4.

*On conflicts:

OpenCL toolkits from other OpenCL hardware vendors should not conflict with Intel® CPU Runtime for OpenCL™ Applications.

To clarify the previous statement about conflicts, the CPU runtime from Intel will conflict in the installer if it's already resident.

It could come from the GFX/CPU combo implementation in the graphics driver, the standalone CPU runtime for Windows OS, or as a checkbox component selected with the Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications installer.

*On your h/w

The notebook linked has Intel® UHD Graphics 630 and an associated video driver from the vendor... In general, it's preferred to use the vendor driver  to access CPU/GFX OpenCL implementations, as there may be vendor support constraints around driver usage. The website has from this vendor has a July 2019 video driver download available. Vendors may disable downloadcenter.intel.com graphics drivers from being installable on their Windows OS based platforms.

These particular server platforms do not have Intel® Graphics Technology hardware... using the CPU runtime implementation and not an Intel® Graphics implementation is more appropriate for this platform. This CPU runtime is available as part of the OpenCL developer tools installer or as a standalone... A graphics driver package doesn't apply here.

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
trollip__ryan
Beginner

Installing full Intel system studio 2019 update 4 for windows I get the warning (on both machines):

OpenCL™ driver is missing or out of date.
Obtain the relevant driver version at OpenCL™ Drivers webpage.

I have already installed the runtime driver as described. 

0 Kudos
trollip__ryan
Beginner

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#cpu-section

CPU-only deployments should use the .msi installer from this article, and consider removal of the Intel® Graphics Technology drivers where applicable. Where to get the MSI they speak of though? no link

Manual driver install instructions are in the realease notes, sdk installer told me to follow those after uniinstalling HD graphics driver. 

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/4f/2b/opencl-runtime-18.1-release-notes.pdf

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi RyanT,

Thanks again for the questions.

Can you post a screenshot of the missing or out of date warning?

The .msi is located underneath the download button referenced for Windows* OS in the article. It's also underneath the Windows* OS download button on the main portal.

msi_button.png

Here is the .msi dialog for download after login:

msi_download.png

The CPU Runtime is also installable from the OpenCL* Tools Component installer from the SDK standalone or the full Intel® System Studio Suite 2019 Update 4... Example:

installer_dialog_cpurt.png

Mine is greyed out because the screen shot is from a system with the iGFX video driver which already contains CPU runtime.

An Intel® Graphics driver should not apply to the server parts mentioned as they don't have Intel® Graphics... the CPU Runtime for those parts can be obtained via methods described in the above screenshots.

A good way to check if the runtime is installed correctly can be an application like clinfo, which is precompiled on it's Github portal. It can be executed via a cmd shell instance.

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
trollip__ryan
Beginner

Yes, then that's the same one I've installed a number of times now.

See image for the error I get on the laptop and the direction to manually install.

After manual install, still the same message shows

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi RyanT,

Do these screenshots occur on the notebook computer?

First screenshot:

The CPU Runtime installer is mutually exclusive to the CPU/GPU combo driver. Assuming the CPU runtime installer is executed on a system with a CPU/GPU driver deployed, the first screenshot is expected behavior.

Second screenshot:

Which CPU/GPU combo driver has been deployed on the notebook computer? Have you tried the July 2019 driver from the vendor? Can you share the driver version from control panel->device manager->display adapter->properties->driver tab?  Is it possible the resident runtime is older?

Is system OCL interrogation from a utility like clinfo sharable?

Can you share the activity logs mentioned in the previous post?

Thanks,

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi RyanT,

Hoping some progress was made with the utilities or that there is a way to get the logs provided. Otherwise, I'm curious if any progress can be shared.

Thanks for the interest.

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
bok__rex
Beginner

Exactly the same issue with all two computers I have tried. Both on VS2019

0 Kudos