OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

New 24.20.100.6094 Win10 driver performance regression from .6025

allanmac1
Beginner

My suite of kernels compiled (to binaries) with the .6094 driver on Win10/x64 take almost twice the amount of time to execute as those compiled with .6025.

Compiling on .6025 and executing on .6094 shows no regression.

Compiling on .6094 and executing on .6094 or .6025 shows the huge performance drop.

Inspection of the .6094 produced assembly shows long sequences of MOV operations that I believe are unnecessary. 

I wish there was a better way to report performance regressions (and reproducers) than here or the GitHub issues page (which is very quiet).

-ASM

0 Kudos
5 Replies
allanmac1
Beginner

The .6136 driver is also spilling a LOT of registers on kernels that compile without any spills on .6025.

I'm using __attribute__((intel_reqd_sub_group_size(8))) so there should be plenty of registers.

0 Kudos
allanmac1
Beginner

Today's new driver (.6194) exhibits the same regression. 

As noted above, .6025 works perfectly.

All kernels listed here are decorated with a reqd_subroup_size(8).

Let me know who I can send the kernels to.

spillage.png

0 Kudos
Michal_M_Intel
Employee

Here is a link for Graphics Compiler project

https://github.com/intel/intel-graphics-compiler

Compiler development team is monitoring it, so publishing an issue there may help.

0 Kudos
allanmac1
Beginner

Done, thanks!

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi AllanM,

Thanks for the detail. If your reproducer source is privileged, it can be submitted confidentially through the Intel Service Center. I can route it to the devs from there. For OpenCL, I recommend marking it as Media Server Studio/Media SDK related or Intel System Studio related.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/support/priority-support

Thank you

-MichaelC

0 Kudos