OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

No Intellisense for OpenCL

PCox
Beginner

I'm debugging OpenCL under Visual Studio on two machines, and all's mostly fine (breakpoints get hit, variable values are visible in watchlists etc).
 What I don't get, and really wish I did, is intellisense (on either machine).
 Is this just the way things are, or is there something I'm missing? Any advice welcome.

VS2015 Enterprise update 2
Intel Core i7-4770 (Haswell GT2 HD 4600)
Intel SDK for OpenCL 2016 v6.1.0.1600
Windows 7 SP1

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Here are a few more details:

I've verified with my own Visual Studio 2015 install that Intellisense works, with a known issue.  Due to some Visual Studio SDK changes the ability to see a kernel variable value by "hovering" over it is currently missing.  However, you can still use other Intellisense features.  

As a workaround you can use watch, local variables, etc.  

For now just wanted to let you know that there probably isn't much to change on your end beyond the workarounds.  I can't promise a timeline but we do have a path to a fix on our end.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

I've got Intellisense with Intel SDK for OpenCL 2016 v6.1.0.1600, but I have a later version of Windows and an earlier version of Visual Studio.  So there may have been some trouble with the Visual Studio integration at install.  Does anything change if you uninstall/Reinstall OpenCL?  (Of course making sure all sessions of Visual Studio are closed.) 

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Here are a few more details:

I've verified with my own Visual Studio 2015 install that Intellisense works, with a known issue.  Due to some Visual Studio SDK changes the ability to see a kernel variable value by "hovering" over it is currently missing.  However, you can still use other Intellisense features.  

As a workaround you can use watch, local variables, etc.  

For now just wanted to let you know that there probably isn't much to change on your end beyond the workarounds.  I can't promise a timeline but we do have a path to a fix on our end.

0 Kudos
PCox
Beginner

Thanks for checking Jeffrey: at least I know it wasn't me doing something silly. We'll carry on until a fix appears.

0 Kudos