OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

OK where are my samples?

bucephalus
Beginner
HI
I'm new to opencl, and really not that experienced at c programming too.
1) I downloaded the sdk and installed it and I can't find the samples folder? Does it not ship with samples anymore?
2) Where are some samples I can get started with? Or some good resources. bits of code, etc.
3) I watched the video on the offline compiler. I noticed that the guy on there was saying that it's for kernels, is this going to be enough to get something happening to start out on? Or do I need to have visual studio to write an application around that?

David
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Doron_S_Intel
Employee
1) It does ship with samples. Please review chapter 3 of the user guide: http://software.intel.com/file/38642 which details where the samples are for each OS.
2) See (1). You can also check the articles from here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-sdk/
3) OpenCL is a run-time environment and a programming language. The offline compiler will allow you to develop the "programming language" section of your application, but you will not be able to launch the kernels you develop through it. For that, you will need to write a "C" program (or use one of the many wrappers for other programming languages) that uses the OpenCL API defined by the OpenCL spec to execute pieces of code written in OpenCL C. Look for clEnqueueNDRangeKernel in the OpenCL specification.
A good place to start would be to choose one of the samples and understand what it does, and specifically the interaction between the part in the .cl file and the part in the .cpp file. Then you can modify either to check the effect.

Good luck,
The Guy
0 Kudos
bucephalus
Beginner
Thanks, I was looking in the installation directory for my samples. I didn't realise they were in a different place than the installation directory.
Thanks for your help.
David.
0 Kudos