OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

Only CPU is accessible via OpenCL on 3770K

Timofey_C_
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm running Windows 7 x64 and have i7 3770K installed with built-in HD 4000 graphics. Intel OpenCL dlls and SDK are both installed on my system. However, for some reason only CPU is accessible via OpenCL. Intel OpenCL samples return -1 when run with -g. GPU caps viewer also shows that there is only 1 device on Intel OpenCL platform. GPU-Z shows that HD 4000 does not support OpenCL.

I also have AMD Radeon HD 7970 installed in my computer, however, the monitor is connected to the output of HD 4000 (Radeon is accessible via OpenCL even in headless mode).

Tried to disable Radeon in Windows device manager, but that does not help.

How to troubleshoot this further and/or fix it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
34 Replies
Timofey_C_
Beginner

Removed Radeon from the case -- nothing changed.

Also, when I install Intel SDK (tried both 2012 and 2013 beta) it only suggests to install 'CPU only runtime'.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Yuri_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Timofey, OpenCL support for GPU (Intel® HD Graphics) implemented as a part of its driver. What version of Intel® HD Graphics Driver installed on your system? Could you please try to install the latest available (15.28.12.2932) if you don't have it already. Thanks, Yuri
0 Kudos
Timofey_C_
Beginner

Hi Yuri,

the driver version shown in Device Manager is 9.17.10.2932. Installer file name was win64_152812.exe. Looks like a correct version to me. Is there a way to diagnose it further? I ran IPDT tests yesterdays (as suggested by Intel support), the tool did not find any issues.

Regards, Tim

0 Kudos
Timofey_C_
Beginner

Attaching two screenshots illustrating the problem and explaining my configuration.

0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

Just curious. What do you have under HKLM\Software\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors?

Thanks,

Raghu

0 Kudos
Timofey_C_
Beginner

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors]
"amdocl.dll"=dword:00000000
"amdocl64.dll"=dword:00000000
"IntelOpenCL64.dll"=dword:00000000

Tried removing AMD libraries -- no effect.

0 Kudos
Timofey_C_
Beginner

32-bit registry branch:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Khronos]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors]
"amdocl64.dll"=dword:00000000
"amdocl.dll"=dword:00000000
"IntelOpenCL32.dll"=dword:00000000

0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

The registry looks ok and you are saying you have dual adapters with the display connected to HD Graphics. Not sure how much of a trouble that is but can you uninstall the intel graphics driver and reinstall it and check gpucapsviewer?

Raghu

0 Kudos
Timofey_C_
Beginner

Already reinstalled Intel driver several times, unfortunately, that did not help.

I also tried to take Radeon out of computer, did not help either.

0 Kudos
LLess
Beginner

Hi,

I had similar issues with it when I had the 2013 Beta SDK installed.

Right now I have uninstalled it (but copied the folder before because the offline compiler is nicer).

I would suggest uninstalling the 2013 SDK and reinstalling the 2012 one. Then installing the driver again. When installing the SDK uncheck the CPU runtimes only too just to be sure.

I can't remember exactly how I managed to get it working but one thing is sure, if you plan to use OpenGL interop too you must disable any additional graphic card and only have the HD4000 running (well that is what I found :)

Laurent

You should try to remove the Beta 2013 SDK and reinstall the driver and

0 Kudos
Timofey_C_
Beginner

Thanks Laurent. Tried what you suggested, but that did not help.

Step by step description of what I haved tried:

1. Removed Beta 2013 SDK -- Intel OpenCL platform totally disappeared

2. Tried to install 2012 SDK -- did not allow me to uncheck CPU runtime, so decided to not proceed.

3. Installed driver -- Intel OpenCL platform reappeared, but still sees only CPU

4. Tried to install 2012 SDK again -- refused to install saying that a newer version of CPU runtime is installed (probably came with a driver). Removed it (version was 2.0.0.37149) -- no Intel OpenCL platform after that.

5. As before, the installation 2012 SDK did not allow me to not install OpenCL CPU runtime, so had to agree. Installed version was the same 2.0.0.37149.
After installation Intel OpenCL platform has appeared, but does not see GPU as before.

6. Again reinstalled driver. Nothing changed.

0 Kudos
Micha_M_
Beginner

Hi all,

I am running windows 7 64 bits on Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 that has an onboard Intel HD Graphics 4000  and a discrete AMD Radeon card. The laptop has a Switchable Graphics feature, designed in a way that the Intel video card stays on by default and the AMD video card only turns on when graphic intensive applications are run.

I installed Intel OpenCL SDK 2013  but the GPU is not accessible via Intel OpenCL  platform device only the CPU is accessible.

GPU caps viewer and  clInfo  utilities also show that there is only 1 device on Intel OpenCL platform (CPU). The AMD GPU is accessible via AMD Opencl platform.

Does anyone have an idea how to deal with this issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Micha

0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

Timofey C. wrote:

Thanks Laurent. Tried what you suggested, but that did not help.

Step by step description of what I haved tried:

1. Removed Beta 2013 SDK -- Intel OpenCL platform totally disappeared

2. Tried to install 2012 SDK -- did not allow me to uncheck CPU runtime, so decided to not proceed.

3. Installed driver -- Intel OpenCL platform reappeared, but still sees only CPU

4. Tried to install 2012 SDK again -- refused to install saying that a newer version of CPU runtime is installed (probably came with a driver). Removed it (version was 2.0.0.37149) -- no Intel OpenCL platform after that.

5. As before, the installation 2012 SDK did not allow me to not install OpenCL CPU runtime, so had to agree. Installed version was the same 2.0.0.37149.
After installation Intel OpenCL platform has appeared, but does not see GPU as before.

6. Again reinstalled driver. Nothing changed.

I am running out of ideas. I have escalated your issue. You don't have switchable graphics do you? (see my comment below).

Thanks,

Raghu

0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

micham1111gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,

I am running windows 7 64 bits on Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 that has an onboard Intel HD Graphics 4000  and a discrete AMD Radeon card. The laptop has a Switchable Graphics feature, designed in a way that the Intel video card stays on by default and the AMD video card only turns on when graphic intensive applications are run.

I installed Intel OpenCL SDK 2013  but the GPU is not accessible via Intel OpenCL  platform device only the CPU is accessible.

GPU caps viewer and  clInfo  utilities also show that there is only 1 device on Intel OpenCL platform (CPU). The AMD GPU is accessible via AMD Opencl platform.

Does anyone have an idea how to deal with this issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Micha

Unfortunately with switchable graphics, the driver doesn't come from Intel and you cannot install the publicly available Intel drivers. You may have to contact AMD/ATI to resolve this.

Thanks,

Raghu 

0 Kudos
Timofey_C_
Beginner

Raghu Muthyalampalli (Intel) wrote:
I have escalated your issue.

Thanks Raghu.

Raghu Muthyalampalli (Intel) wrote:
You don't have switchable graphics do you? (see my comment below).

I believe I don't, however not quite sure what this feature is. My computer is a desktop, not a laptop. Not using any display adapter virtualization software (tried Virtu before -- that did not help to solve the OpenCL problem, so uninstalled it). The computer has Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7 motherboard installed just in case you want to know.

0 Kudos
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner

Have you tried using the latest driver (15.28.12.2932 (9.17.10.2932))?

0 Kudos
Timofey_C_
Beginner
Hi Chuck De Sylva, yes, this was the first thing I tried. I'm using this driver now and still have these problems.
0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

Can you please try one last thing?

- Uninstall AMD driver
- remove the external gfx card
- uninstall the HD graphics driver
- uninstall the OpenCL SDK
- reboot as necessary
- install the HD graphcis driver
- install the SDK
- check for both OpenCL devices under gpucaps viewer

Thanks,
Raghu 

0 Kudos
LLess
Beginner

When I said "Disable the external graphic card", I meant go into the device manager and disable it there. Of course physically removing it should be equivalent.

Laurent

0 Kudos
Timofey_C_
Beginner

Hi Raghu,

after doing what you have proposed GPU Caps Viewer finally saw both devices under Intel Open CL platform. That's a bit of a success, thank you. However, when I put the discrete GPU back and installed its driver, only CPU is visible again.

So... which components of the AMD driver may be conflicting with Intel's?

Regards,
Tim

0 Kudos