OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

OpenCL HD Graphics 4000 compiler crash during compilation

Ian_J_1
Beginner

Apologies in advance if this has been reported before:
The OpenCL HD Graphics 4000 compiler crashes when I attempt to build the following minimal kernel

__kernel void pix(__write_only image2d_t im, const ulong data)
{
    int2 coord = { 1, 2 };
    if (data)
        write_imagef(im, coord, (float4)(0.0f,1.0f,0.0f,1.0f));
    else
        write_imagef(im, coord, (float4)(0.0f,0.0f,0.0f,1.0f));
}

The set-up is as follows:

Windows 8 (64 bit), Intel graphics driver version 15.28.12.2932(9.17.10.2932), Intel SDK for OpenCLApplications 2013 Beta.

The compiler crash occurs in both my application and when I try to compile using the offline compiler. The kernel builds and executes successfully for the CPU. Is this a known issue?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Rami_J_Intel
Employee

Hi Ian;

Can you please try query for the CL_PROGRAM_BUILD_LOG using clGetProgramBuildInfo API and see what message it returns for the failiing case?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ian_J_1
Beginner

Rami,

Thanks for replying. The compiler actually crashes during the compilation step, so it is not possible to make the clGetProgramBuildInfo API call. When I try to build the kernel using the offline kernel builder it compiles correctly when I select Intel CPU as the target, but the compiler crashes when I select Intel HD Graphics as the target. When the compiler crashes I get the following information from Windows:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
Application Name:    ioc64.exe
Application Version:    3.0.0.43087
Application Timestamp:    5018e60a
Fault Module Name:    igdfcl64.dll
Fault Module Version:    8.1.0.2932
Fault Module Timestamp:    50c924e2
Exception Code:    c0000005
Exception Offset:    000000000083a94a
OS Version:    6.2.9200.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID:    2057

If I comment out the the "else" then the compilation succeeds (but obviously the logic of the kernel changes).

Would it be possible for you to cut and paste the kernel I've given in the opening post and try to compile in the offline Kernel Builder, to see if you can reproduce the crash?

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

I tried your kernel and indeed the compiler crashes during clBuildProgram() call, so querrying the build log is not possible. I will try a later driver to see if the issue is fixed. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Raghu

0 Kudos
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner

We tested this against an internal driver slated for a future release and the issue is resolved. We don't have a date for you as to when it will be released, but it should be out shortly.

0 Kudos
Ian_J_1
Beginner

Thanks for investigating. I'll look forward to the new driver.

0 Kudos
LLess
Beginner

I have seen crashes in the compiler too and while I don't have the issue right now it would be good if the compiler was able to catch the exception itself and avoid crashing so we can try to get some error somehow.

Thanks.

Laurent.

0 Kudos
Ian_J_1
Beginner

I can confirm that the issue is resolved with the release SDK for OpenCL Applications 2013 and driver 15.31.3.3071 (9.18.10.3071).

Thanks

Ian

0 Kudos