OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

OpenCL SDK 2017 R2: intercept layer appears second instead of first

allanmac1
Beginner

FYI,

I've found that my Win10 + OpenCL SDK 2017 R2 system can't perform "Application Analysis" unless I explicitly force selection of the second (identical) Intel HD Graphics platform and device.

Finding the first matching platform ("Intel") and device ("Graphics") results in no profiling data.

Perhaps the platform should have a name like "Intel(R) OpenCL Interceptor" so it can be explicitly found.

I haven't looked at the github intercept layer repo to see if this feature exists as I'd like to keep using the SDK R2 as is.

Output of my "find by name" routine is attached.

-ASM

0: Intel(R) OpenCL <-- NO PROFILING
 >>> 0: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 [ 24.20.100.6025 ]
     1: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820HQ CPU @ 2.90GHz [ 7.6.0.698 ]
 1: Intel(R) OpenCL <-- THIS ONE SUPPORT HOST/DEVICE PROFILING
     0: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 [ 24.20.100.6025 ]
     1: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820HQ CPU @ 2.90GHz [ 7.6.0.698 ]
 2: NVIDIA CUDA
     0: Quadro M1200 [ 398.28 ]
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ben_A_Intel
Employee
I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, but I think it's unrelated to the Intercept Layer for OpenCL Applications on github: https://github.com/intel/opencl-intercept-layer The Intercept Layer for OpenCL Applications doesn't install another platform since it's designed to work with all installed OpenCL platforms, not just those from Intel. It's also not included with the Intel SDK for OpenCL, to my knowledge. Do you see both platforms if you run your application normally, or only if you're performing "Application Analysis"?
0 Kudos
allanmac1
Beginner

I always see both Intel platforms whether I'm running an OpenCL executable from the command line or via the Code Builder in VS 2017.

It appears whether or not the whether the Code Builder > Enable OpenCL API Debugger is enabled in Options.

( I was totally guessing that this is was due to the intercept layer! )

0 Kudos
Ben_A_Intel
Employee
Strange. I'm not sure what's going on, but I've forwarded this thread to a few Intel SDK for OpenCL folks. Thanks for the report!
0 Kudos
allanmac1
Beginner

One more data point, here is what the registry looks like:

opencl_vendors.png

0 Kudos