OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

OpenCL SDK 7.0.0.2567 vs ieframe.dll

karpicz__edward
Beginner

Hello

I installed this SDK yesterday and noticed that YouTube and other sites stopped working. Both in IE11 and Edge. IE11 reports ieframe.dll error. Edge complains about wrong site without explanation. My poor solution was to uninstall SDK, everything got fixed except missing SDK... Is there any good solution for this?

i5-4690 CPU / GPU, Windows 10 PRO, x64

Edward

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Michael_C_Intel1

EdwardK,

Thanks for the report.

• Would you mind posting a screen shot of the error dialog box observed?
    • Have you observed this behavior in 2017 R2 and the SDK as a subcompoenent of 2019 Beta? (it's easier to file and report issues with the beta).
  • Does the dll error come up on launch or on access to youtube and other sites? Which other sites?
  • What do you mean by edge complains about wrong site?
  • Is your browser software up to date? Is your Intel Graphics Driver up to date? See your vendors webpage or downloadcenter.intel.com... (whichever the system vendor supports)
  • Was there anything else installed at the same time? i.e. MSVS.
  • I can't immediately think of anyways the SDK would touch a browser acceleration stack.

Admittedly, I'm not familiar with Edge's dependencies for hardware acceleration. I did open up ieframe.dll in dependency walker and have seen some DirectX related DLL's in it's dependency stack ... haven't seen anything OpenCL related there yet.

Any more context or screenshots could be helpful. This forum has the ability to attach images.

Thanks,

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
karpicz__edward
Beginner

Hi Michael,

Thank You for reponse.

Since it's not known issue, looks like I need either OpenCL dedicated machine (which would be OK to fail displaying some web pages), or look for different OpenCL SDK. The problem is I can't install / uninstall Intel OpenCL SDK every day just to check whether it breaks something or not. Perhaps I'll put it to VM and CPU only, but main machine has to just work.

• Would you mind posting a screen shot of the error dialog box observed?

Sorry, I didn't do screenshots, SDK is uninstalled by now.

•  
    • Have you observed this behavior in 2017 R2 and the SDK as a subcompoenent of 2019 Beta? (it's easier to file and report issues with the beta).

I didn't see 2019 beta downloadable. I'll try.

• Does the dll error come up on launch or on access to youtube and other sites? Which other sites?

On loading YouTube IE and Edge kind of restarted few times, browser window was redrawn, then error message. Since SDK not installed, no more details by now.

• What do you mean by edge complains about wrong site?

Edge showed error balloon in the center of Edge window, didn't notice exact message, sorry.

• Is your browser software up to date? Is your Intel Graphics Driver up to date? See your vendors webpage or downloadcenter.intel.com... (whichever the system vendor supports)

Yes, all latest Windows updates. Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 driver provider: Intel Corporation, Driver Version 20.19.15.4835. Perhaps changing it would help, I'll try later.

• Was there anything else installed at the same time? i.e. MSVS.

Yes, of course, not just VS2013, all necessary development tools are installed.

• Admittedly, I'm not familiar with Edge's dependencies for hardware acceleration. I did open up ieframe.dll in dependency walker and have seen some DirectX related DLL's in it's dependency stack ... haven't seen anything OpenCL related there yet.

Both IE11 and Edge utilize some GPU utilization, which is seen in Task Manager GPU %  and GPU Engine columns next to IE / Edge.

Thanks,

Edward

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Thanks for the feedback...

That driver revision for that Intel® Graphics Technology SKU doesn't match the revision names given on ark.intel.com of the Intel® HD 4600 page: You may want to try either these updated drivers https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496 ;or an updated driver package directly from the system vendor... if applicable.

To clarify my question about 'same time' installation... I meant simultaneous installing more than simultaneous residency...

Like an application making heavy registry edits and library replacements like MSVS, our SDK, perhaps another Intel SDK or a driver... all in one shot... before a reboot. I don't expect any odd conflicts here to present this issue... more asking out of due diligence.

Any 'GPU utilization' metric doesn't necessarily indicate OpenCL usage... there are many heterogeneous standards that can target graphics devices... I have some contacts for people who enable WebGL and I'll ask what might affect that .dll.

Thanks for the sighting.

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
karpicz__edward
Beginner

Hi Michael,

How do you know driver revision 20.19.15.4835 doesn't match SKU? The only decent place I know to check installed driver version is in Windows Device Manager. But I followed your link and installed latest driver 15.40.38.4963. Driver installer was showing installing 20.19.15.4963..., and Device Manager now shows 20.19.15.4963. So old version should be fine, just little older, isn't it? I don't understand why Intel states it's 15.40.38.4963, while in DM it's 20.19.15.4963. What for are these two worlds of different driver version numbering? I don't mind 15.40.38.4963 on Intel web pages, but then I would expect Intel mentioning Windows driver version. Do I want too much?

Driver update from Intel did the miracle. Installing the same OpenCL SDK doesn't break IE, Edge or YouTube any more. But why? Windows were updating driver occasionally, did Microsoft forget to update some parts of driver? I've no idea.

Thank You

Edward

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi EdwardK,

We supply reference drivers that periodically go out to MS as well as OEM's. They are free to use their own versioning systems independent of what the references were that we supplied. Those partners take driver updates less often than Intel builds for Windows OS are available on downloadcenter.intel.com.

Sorry... I don't have a SKU immediately available to situate that driver to look... I may have made a poor assumption. I'll ask the dev team about the observed mismatch. If possible I'll file a feature request to get some authoritive feedback on driver revision.

Thanks for the feedback and participation.

-MichaelC

0 Kudos