OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

Optimizing a Matrix-Vector multiplication kernel

Supradeep_A_
Beginner

Hi all,

I am trying to optimize a Matrix-vector multiplication kernel for an Intel CPU-GPU system. I know that gemv/BLAS-2 is memory bound but I want to obtain the best performance possible. Here's the code for the kernel : 

__kernel void gemv(const __global float4* M,
	const __global float4* V,
	uint width, uint height,
	__global float* W,
	__local float* partialDotProduct)
{
	// Each work-group handles as many matrix rows as necessary

for (uint y = get_group_id(0); y < height; y += get_num_groups(0)) {

// Row pointer
		const __global float4* row = M + (y * width/4);

// Each work-item accumulates as many products as necessary
		// into local variable "sum"
		float4 sum = (float4) (0.0f);

for (uint x = get_local_id(0); x < width/4; x += get_local_size(0))
			sum = fma(row,V,sum);

// Each partial dot product is stored in SLM
		partialDotProduct[get_local_id(0)] = dot(sum, (float4) 1.0f);

// Perform parallel reduction to add each work-item's
		// partial dot product together

for (uint stride = get_local_size(0) / 2; stride > 0; stride /= 2) {

// Synchronize to make sure each work-item is done updating SLM
			barrier(CLK_LOCAL_MEM_FENCE);

// Only the first work-items in the work-group add elements together
			if (get_local_id(0) < stride) {

// Add two elements from the "partialDotProduct" array
				// and store the result in partialDotProduct[index]
				partialDotProduct[get_local_id(0)] += partialDotProduct[get_local_id(0) + stride];
			}
		}

// Write the result of the reduction to global memory
		if (get_local_id(0) == 0)
			W = partialDotProduct[0];

}
}

On measuring performance (Using the profiling queue), I found that the CPU is faster than the GPU by 10-20% for all datasizes (Ranging from matrices 512x512 to 8192x8192).

Is there room for any more optimization here? Or am I correct in assuming that the performance here is bounded by the memory accesses?

I am using the latest OpenCL runtimes on Intel 6300U/ HD 520 running Windows.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Sorry for the delayed reply.  There is still room for optimization.   We're hoping to have at least one publication come out on this topic within a few weeks where we go into strategies for matrix-matrix and matrix-vector optimizations in more detail.  Until then:

As you know, optimizing OpenCL is a combination of efficient operations and efficient data transfer.  To reduce the # of operations you could consider opportunities for unrolling.   There should also be a way to write back results as a vector type instead of one at a time.

Our tools can give excellent feedback to help with optimization.  You may have already seen the introductory videos here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-opencl

I'm hoping to have a more detailed response soon. 

0 Kudos
Huseyin_Tugrul_B_

If you haven't done already, you should use pinned host arrays and USE_HOST_PTR  type direct memory accessing to lower memory read write laatency to %30. I tested with Intel HD 400 and 1M data was taking 10-15 ms to read and compute then I converted it to map and compute using host buffer 4096 aligned and it took 3-5 ms. 

Then with a 1 cpu-core, it takes 55ms which is 10 times slower. 

Because data reuse ratio is too low, and 8192x8192 matrix is also out of cache.

0 Kudos
Namrata_C_Intel
Employee

Do you get the same result with this as without vectorization?

I have a vector of size 3150 and matrix 3150 * 3150. I am trying to use float2, but the result I get from the multiplication is different from the scalar one. 

Also, do you recommend using float4 over float2?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

We recently published some best known methods for matrix multiply on Gen graphics here, which may help with matrix-vector multiply.

Optimizing Matrix Multiply for Intel® Processor Graphics Architecture Gen9

This includes float4 and even 16 bit (half) floats.

0 Kudos
Namrata_C_Intel
Employee

Thank you very much for sharing this Jeffrey. 

One question though. In case my matrix is not a power of 2 (3150 in my case), is it still recommended to use these techniques?

If not, what can I do to get the best results?

I have tried different kernels, but the gemv with vectorization gives best latency. The only problem is, I get different results when using a scalar and a vector version.

Thanks,

0 Kudos