OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

SDK won't install on Windows 8.1

Dave_F_1
Beginner

Hi,

The SDK for OpenCL x64 won't install on Windows 8.1 for me. I get the following error:

"Intel SDK for OpenCL* Applications 2013 designed to work on Microsoft Windows Vista*..... Windows* 8 x64... operating systems only. The installer detected that you're trying to install the SDK on a different version. Aborting Installation"

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
LLess
Beginner

Have you tried to install it with the compatibility mode set to Windows 8 or even 7?

I need to install it also this week so I will likely face the same issue soon.

Laurent

0 Kudos
Dave_F_1
Beginner

Hi Laurent, good idea but doing this doesn't help.

0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

Hi guys,

We are aware of this issue and will be fixed in the next SDK update. Please watch for an anouncement on the release.

Thanks,
Raghu

0 Kudos
Dave_F_1
Beginner

Oh dear, sounds like I might be waiting a while... Any estimate on availability?

0 Kudos
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Check out the new release at: http://software.intel.com/en-us/vcsource/tools/opencl-sdk

Don't forget to update the Windows 8.1 driver

Regards,

Arnon

0 Kudos
Dave_F_1
Beginner

OK, that was quick! Thanks Arnon - looks good.

0 Kudos
uriv
Beginner

I upgraded to windows 8.1, and now I can't uninstall the SDK. I get the same "designed to work with ... Windows* 8 x64" error. Due to the same problem I can't update the SDK since it tries to uninstall the previous version first.

Please advise.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel

You need to search the registry for "SDK for OpenCL" and remove all keys that were added by the previous installer. After that installer the newer SDK.

Raghu

0 Kudos
uriv
Beginner

I removed the values from the registry, searching for values containing "SDK for OpenCL" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL". I also deleted the SDK folder. The installer still somehow manages to notice that a previous version was installed, but can't find the uninstaller.

Could someone look up the reg key that is associated with the installation?

Thanks

Raghu Muthyalampalli (Intel) wrote:

You need to search the registry for "SDK for OpenCL" and remove all keys that were added by the previous installer. After that installer the newer SDK.

Raghu

0 Kudos
Jan_Hardenbergh
Beginner

Does anyone have a recipe that works to get the SDK working on WIndows 8.1? The new installer fails becuase it cannot upgrade and the old uninstaller fails because it is the wrong system. I tried all of the above.

Thanks

0 Kudos
SIMEON_K_Intel
Employee

In order to install new SDK you will need to remove old 2013 SDK which is not supported on Windows 8.1. There is no simple way to do this but the next minimized set of instructions will allow to do this:

1) Execute command: wmic product where "Name like 'Intel%% SDK for OpenCL%%'" get Name, PackageCache

You will get info about installed Intel OpenCL SDK packages:
Name                                           PackageCache
IntelR SDK for OpenCL* Applications 2013  C:\WINDOWS\Installer\4b56a26.msi

2) Use Orca for modify msi by path %PackageCache%.
If VS 2010 or 2012 installed you can find Orca in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\Orca.Msi". You will need to install Orca.Msi in order to use it.
Once you have Orca installed, you can right-click the MSI file, “Edit with Orca”, and then go to “LaunchCondition” on the left side.
Just right click and remove the condition row. Save modified msi file.

3) Uninstall old SDK by executing msi by path %PackageCache% or through Add Remove Programs.

0 Kudos