OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

Trouble installing Linux GPU drivers for OpenCL

Sean_S_3
Beginner

I've been trying for hours to install the Intel Media Server Studio 2015 R6 – Community Edition for Linux so that I can use the GPU on my Xeon E3-1246v3, but no matter what I try I can't seem to get it to work.  I'm using Fedora 22 64-bit and am following the instructions for Generic (really, only official support CentOS 7.1?).  I extracted mediaserverstudioessentials2015r6.tar.gz, then within that extracted SDK2015Production16.4.2.1.tar.gz, but the install_media.sh script doesn't seem to support Fedora (no warning about what dependencies I may be missing).  I tried to manually do everything in the install script, but after I finished and rebooted running a simple clinfo doesn't show any Intel GPU device.  Please help, this shouldn't be so difficult and the install should be much cleaner than a tar containing many tars and rpms and all the burden on the user.  Also, it would be important to know if and how the driver can be installed to work with Secure Boot enabled.  Thanks!

P.S., Please provide all CPU/GPU/Phi drivers and run-times in a single standalone installation with the option to select target devices, rather than some as individual standalone installations (and old, e.g., 14.2 and 15.1 found at https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers) and others packaged in large development suites that differ substantially OS (e.g., .Intel Integrated Native Developer Experience and Intel Media Server Studio).  Ideally there should be a simple driver/run-time install file and then an SDK file for all the tools and static libraries.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Sean,

Unfortunately, Fedora is not on the supported platforms list. We only support CentOS and SLES.

Thanks for the suggestions on improving the installation process! I will forward it to our Linux development team.

0 Kudos
Sean_S_3
Beginner

Before I switch then to CentOS 7.1 (although this is not ideal as it doesn't have as large of package repositories as Fedora), can you confirm if the driver installation will have any problems with Secure Boot, and if so how to work around that without disabling it?  Thanks!

One other recommendation, install files in folders with versions, e.g., /opt/intel/mediasdk/2015R6 instead of just /opt/intel/mediasdk (I actually think the entire Intel Media Server Studio installation should go into /opt/intel/mss/2015R6 (mediasdk, mdf, and opencl), which is similar to how I would install the Intel Math Kernel Library.  That makes it easier to switch between versions when the most recent release hasn't been fully vetted on the user end.

0 Kudos