OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

Ubuntu version of OpenCL

Polar01
Beginner

Hi,

Is there an installation package for Ubuntu ?

If not, it will be nice to have, a lot of customers would like to run my soft. on Ubuntu with the Intel SDK !

Thanks

0 Kudos
38 Replies
Ahmed_BH
Beginner

Hi Polar01,

1. Download the Intel SDK for OpenCL Applications from Intel's web site (http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/vcsource-tools-opencl-sdk/). After downloading, you will end with a .tgz file with an RPM inside (crazy, I know). In my case, the file is namedintel_sdk_for_ocl_applications_2012_x64.tgz.
  2. Extract the RPM from the .tgz file:
    $ tar zxvf intel_sdk_for_ocl_applications_2012_x64.tgz
    This will extract the intel_ocl_sdk_2012_x64.rpm file.
  3. Convert the RPM file to .deb format and install:
    $ sudo apt-get install -y rpm alien libnuma1    # In case you don't have these packages $ fakeroot alien --to-deb intel_ocl_sdk_2012_x64.rpm $ sudo dpkg -i intel-ocl-sdk_2.0-31361_amd64.deb
  4. Now the SDK and libraries will be installed to /usr/lib64, while Ubuntu expects them to be in /usr/lib. No problem, just make a symlink and update the library cache:
    $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libOpenCL.so /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so $ sudo ldconfig

That's all! OpenCL should be installed now.

0 Kudos
Polar01
Beginner

Thx Ahmed ;-)

Yes, it sounds to be the way to do... but it is "complex" for basic users... I can do that but imagine that my customers are simple "artists" and they don't care about installing drivers etc... command line is a "geek" stuff for my customers :-D

I would like that Intel provide an "easy" way for theses peoples... it is important for basic users.

So, if someone of the Intel team can advice ?

But thanks for your help, Ahmed ;-)

0 Kudos
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

We hear your requests and taking it into considerations. We are not discussing future products releases in this forum, yet all feedback and asks are taken into account.

Thanks for posting your requirement here.

Arnon

OpenCL SDK Product Manager

0 Kudos
Polar01
Beginner

Thanks a lot Arnon :-)

0 Kudos
renga_a_
Beginner

Hello Arnon,

I have a Ubuntu 12.04 and from this link (http://software.intel.com/en-us/vcsource/tools/opencl) it looks like i should be using the Version XE 2013. The notes for this version say it has been tested on xeon processors. I do have a i5 with integrated Intel HD graphics on my machine. So which version should i install for this configuration (i5 with integrated graphics with ubuntu 12.04)? Please advise.

Thanks

Renga

0 Kudos
Noah_R_
Beginner

Here are some steps I used with Ubuntu 13.04 and the new multi-package distribution Intel® SDK for OpenCL* Applications XE 2013:

Download the 64-bit distribution from Intel: intel_sdk_for_ocl_applications_2013_xe_sdk_3.0.67279_x64.tgz
Download the Intel public key.  I had trouble finding it, but googling the filename pointed me to the correct page at Intel. Intel-E901-172E-EF96-900F-B8E1-4184-D7BE-0E73-F789-186F.pub

$ sudo apt-get install -y rpm alien libnuma1

$ sudo rpm --import Intel-E901-172E-EF96-900F-B8E1-4184-D7BE-0E73-F789-186F.pub

$ tar -xvf intel_sdk_for_ocl_applications_2013_xe_sdk_3.0.67279_x64.tgz
$ cd intel_sdk_for_ocl_applications_2013_xe_sdk_3.0.67279_x64/

$ fakeroot alien --to-deb opencl-1.2-base-3.0.67279-1.x86_64.rpm
$ fakeroot alien --to-deb opencl-1.2-intel-cpu-3.0.67279-1.x86_64.rpm

$ sudo dpkg -i opencl-1.2-base_3.0.67279-2_amd64.deb
$ sudo dpkg -i opencl-1.2-intel-cpu_3.0.67279-2_amd64.deb

The above installs the library files and intallable client driver registration in /opt/intel/opencl-1.2-3.0.67279.
Two more steps were needed to run an OpenCL program.

Add library to search path:
$ sudo touch /etc/ld.so.conf.d/intelOpenCL.conf
Edit this file, add the line:
/opt/intel/opencl-1.2-3.0.67279/lib64

Link to the intel icd file in the expected location:
$ sudo ln /opt/intel/opencl-1.2-3.0.67279/etc/intel64.icd /etc/OpenCL/vendors/intel64.icd
$ sudo ldconfig

At this point I could run an existing application.  If doing developmnent, install the developer headers and tools:

$ fakeroot alien --to-deb opencl-1.2-devel-3.0.67279-1.x86_64.rpm
$ fakeroot alien --to-deb opencl-1.2-intel-devel-3.0.67279-1.x86_64.rpm

$ sudo dpkg -i opencl-1.2-devel_3.0.67279-2_amd64.deb
$ sudo dpkg -i opencl-1.2-intel-devel_3.0.67279-2_amd64.deb

It is worth noting the include path for headers is: /opt/intel/opencl-1.2-3.0.67279/include
The linking path for libraries is: /opt/intel/opencl-1.2-3.0.67279/lib64
The developer tool binaries are installed in: /opt/intel/opencl-1.2-3.0.67279/bin

0 Kudos
Anonymous35
Beginner

Apologies for the probably-obvious question: on this page:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/vcsource/tools/opencl

It says OpenCL SDK is available for " Ubuntu* 12.04 (Host2) "  - does that imply you can develop on that platform, but cannot execute?

Thanks -

Michael

0 Kudos
Mitch_O_
Beginner

Is there an available OpenCL sdk somewhere at Intel.  I've been playing around with the page where I keep getting sent, and all I can get is IDEs etc... 

I'm running Ununtu 14.10 on an Intel Xeon(R) ES-2630

Thanks,

Mitch

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Mitch,

You can download OpenCL runtime for Ubuntu here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#ubuntu64

And Intel® Code Builder for OpenCL™ API 2015 for Ubuntu* (64-bit) here  https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-code-builder-for-opencl-api .

That's about it.

0 Kudos
Zeshan_A_
Beginner

Hello Intel,

i want to install OpenCLTM Runtime 15.1 for Intel® CoreTM and Intel® Xeon® Processors , on 14.04.1-Ubuntu  (64 bit) .

My system specification are :Model Intel (R)core (TM) i5-2540 M CPU @2.60 GHz, Ubuntu 64 bit , GNU/Linux 2.6.24

In release notes written that supported Operating Systems " Ubuntu 12.04  and 14.04 . But when i run the install_GUI , it show the message  operating system not supported.

Please Help me , i am new on  intel  OpenCL  sdk .

Reagds,

0 Kudos
Uri_L_Intel
Employee

Hello,

The OpenCL CPU runtime for Ubuntu OS comes with Intel OpenCL Code Builder for Ubuntu package (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#ubuntu64)

The version you're trying to install is supported on SLES and RHEL operating systems only.

We'll modify the release notes to better clarify it.  

Thanks,

Uri

0 Kudos
Zeshan_A_
Beginner

Hallo Uri,

Thank you for response,

i tried to install your given link "Intel OpenCL Code Builder for Ubuntu package (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#ubuntu64)" , but still give the message in installing Mode " Unsupported Operating System,  Does Intel Code builder for ubuntu support  only 12.04 LTE  OS.

i am try to install  on 14.04.1-Ubuntu  (64 bit) .

1) extract the tar IntelOpenCL SDK.

2) run the install_GUI .

("Message : Unsupported OS Version ")

What should i do ,  should i change my ubuntu version  or have intel any solution for compatibility with new version of ubuntu (14.04.1-Ubuntu  (64 bit) ).

it will be the great help  for me ,if you advise me to install the intelOpenCL SDK   steps on my system.

Best Regards,

Zeshan

0 Kudos
Roger_B_1
Beginner
The following steps worked for me on Ubuntu 15.04 based on Noah's instructions above: $ sudo apt-get install -y rpm alien libnuma1 $ tar -xvf intel_code_builder_for_opencl_2015_ubuntu_5.0.0.43_x64.tgz $ cd intel_code_builder_for_opencl_2015_ubuntu_5.0.0.43_x64 $ sudo rpm --import PUBLIC_KEY.PUB $ cd rpm $ fakeroot alien --to-deb opencl-1.2-base-5.0.0.43-1.x86_64.rpm $ fakeroot alien --to-deb opencl-1.2-intel-cpu-5.0.0.43-1.x86_64.rpm $ sudo dpkg -i opencl-1.2-base_5.0.0.43-2_amd64.deb $ sudo dpkg -i opencl-1.2-intel-cpu_5.0.0.43-2_amd64.deb The above installs the library files and installable client driver registration in /opt/intel/opencl-1.2-5.0.0.43. Two more steps were needed to run an OpenCL program. Add library to search path: $ sudo nano /etc/ld.so.conf.d/intelOpenCL.conf Add the line: /opt/intel/opencl-1.2-5.0.0.43/lib64 Link to the intel icd file in the expected location: $ sudo ln /opt/intel/opencl-1.2-5.0.0.43/etc/intel64.icd /etc/OpenCL/vendors/intel64.icd $ sudo ldconfig $ sudo clinfo Number of platforms 2 Platform Name NVIDIA CUDA Platform Vendor NVIDIA Corporation Platform Version OpenCL 1.1 CUDA 6.5.45 Platform Profile FULL_PROFILE Platform Extensions cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_icd cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_nv_compiler_options cl_nv_device_attribute_query cl_nv_pragma_unroll cl_nv_copy_opts Platform Extensions function suffix NV Platform Name Intel(R) OpenCL Platform Vendor Intel(R) Corporation Platform Version OpenCL 1.2 LINUX Platform Profile FULL_PROFILE Platform Extensions cl_khr_icd cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_depth_images cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_intel_exec_by_local_thread cl_khr_spir cl_khr_fp64 Platform Extensions function suffix INTEL
0 Kudos
Jacopo_R_
Beginner

I definitely have problems with the newest version intel_sdk_for_opencl_2016_ubuntu_6.0.0.1049_x64.
it seems that when it comes to "Link to the intel icd file in the expected location:" there is no file /opet/intel/opencl*/etc/*icd to link.

jaky@jaky-Satellite-S55-A:/opt/intel$ ls
intel-opencl-1.2-6.0.0.1049  ism                    opencl-1.2-sdk-6.0.0.1049
intel_sdp_products.db        opencl-1.2-6.0.0.1049
jaky@jaky-Satellite-S55-A:/opt/intel$ ls opencl-1.2-6.0.0.1049/
lib64
jaky@jaky-Satellite-S55-A:/opt/intel$ ls opencl-1.2-6.0.0.1049/lib64/
libOpenCL.so  libOpenCL.so.1  libOpenCL.so.1.2
jaky@jaky-Satellite-S55-A:/opt/intel$ 

Is there any detailed guide for this specific version to follow? 
Is there a way to clean the installation to start from the scratch?
Thank you in advance.
Jacopo

0 Kudos
nishma_l_
Beginner

Hi,

I am also facing the same problem as Jacopo. I cannot find icd files and also in rpm folder I cannot find opencl-1.2-intel-cpu-*.rpm. Can anyone help me how to solve this problem?

Regards,

Nishma Laitonjam

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Nishma,

You will have to install a CPU runtime for Ubuntu separately: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#16.1ubuntu64 .

I installed GPU runtime that came with the SDK first, then installed the CPU runtime above, then set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the location of CPU OpenCL runtime dlls, and then I can see both CPU and GPU devices.

0 Kudos
nishma_l_
Beginner

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your help, now I can find .icd file. But when I run (sudo clinfo), I got the following error :-
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'fglrx': No such device
Error! Fail to load fglrx kernel module! Maybe you can switch to root user to load kernel module directly
Error! Fail to load fglrx kernel module! Maybe you can switch to root user to load kernel module directly

I am very grateful, if you can help me with this also. Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Nishma Laitonjam

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Nishma,

I was unable to run clinfo either: different error though. Try to get Intel samples for Linux https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-opencl-support/code-samples and build the CapsBasic one. You can also try to get it here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/caps-basic - build it and run it and let me know if that worked for you. Make sure to add /opt/intel/OpenCL-1.2-5.2.0.10002/lib64 to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos
nishma_l_
Beginner

Hi Robert,

When I run ./capsbasic, I get the following message

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'fglrx_updates': No such device
Error: Fail to load fglrx kernel module!
Number of available platforms: 2
Platform names:
    [0] Intel(R) OpenCL [Selected]
    [1] AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Number of devices available for each type:
    CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU: 1
    CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU: 0
    CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR: 0

*** Detailed information for each device ***

CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU[0]
    CL_DEVICE_NAME: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 540  @ 2.53GHz
    CL_DEVICE_AVAILABLE: 1
    CL_DEVICE_VENDOR: Intel(R) Corporation
    CL_DEVICE_PROFILE: FULL_PROFILE
    CL_DEVICE_VERSION: OpenCL 1.2 (Build 10002)
    CL_DRIVER_VERSION: 1.2.0.10002
    CL_DEVICE_OPENCL_C_VERSION: OpenCL C 1.2
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_COMPUTE_UNITS: 4
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY: 2530
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE: 8192
    CL_DEVICE_ADDRESS_BITS: 64
    CL_DEVICE_MEM_BASE_ADDR_ALIGN: 1024
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE: 2056365056
    CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE: 8225460224
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_CONSTANT_BUFFER_SIZE: 131072
    CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_CACHE_SIZE: 262144
    CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_CACHELINE_SIZE: 64
    CL_DEVICE_LOCAL_MEM_SIZE: 32768
    CL_DEVICE_PROFILING_TIMER_RESOLUTION: 1
    CL_DEVICE_IMAGE_SUPPORT: 1
    CL_DEVICE_ERROR_CORRECTION_SUPPORT: 0
    CL_DEVICE_HOST_UNIFIED_MEMORY: 1
    CL_DEVICE_EXTENSIONS: cl_khr_icd cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_depth_images cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_intel_exec_by_local_thread cl_khr_spir cl_khr_fp64
    CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_INT: 1
    CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_LONG: 1
    CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_FLOAT: 1
    CL_DEVICE_PREFERRED_VECTOR_WIDTH_DOUBLE: 1
    CL_DEVICE_NATIVE_VECTOR_WIDTH_INT: 4
    CL_DEVICE_NATIVE_VECTOR_WIDTH_LONG: 2
    CL_DEVICE_NATIVE_VECTOR_WIDTH_FLOAT: 4
    CL_DEVICE_NATIVE_VECTOR_WIDTH_DOUBLE: 2

Best Regards,

Nishma

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Nishma,

1. Could you run any other of the Intel samples? Do they run on the CPU device, and you just get the error messages in the output, as above?

2. Looks like fglrx is giving you trouble (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_Software_Crimson#Linux ), but the Intel CPU driver is actually doing its thing. Somehow AMD driver does not play well with our driver or vice versa.

I have no way to replicate your hardware configurations. One thing you could try is to make sure that LD_LIBRARY_PATH, in addition to pointing to Intel OpenCL libraries, points to AMD ones as well. Check this out too https://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=457

0 Kudos