Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

100% edp limit throttling. ICCMAX is disabled

TJyong02
Beginner

Hello! i have a i7 9700F that is on 100% EDP Limit Throttling due to the current limit. If i remember right the way to fix this is changing the ICCMAX but XTU is having it disabled. Any way to fix this? i would like to increase the ICCMAX from 133.00 to 255.75 amps. Thanks! It's also a desktop PC that uses Windows 11

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TJyong02.

I hope you are doing fine.

I wanted to let you know the following information:

• As the XTU is not compatible with this processor, then the results of the throttling may not be accurate.
  • You mentioned a minor drop in the frequency, and it is important to emphasize that even if the processor supports up to 4.7GHz, it does not mean it will be always running at that speed. It will dynamically change with the workload and if hasn't reached the maximum speed is because the PC hasn't required it. Also, there is no manual way to make it reach the max frequency.

I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TJyong02.

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Regarding your issue, the processor you mentioned (Intel® Core™ i7-9700F Processor) is not on the Valid Products list for the download of the Intel® XTU program. It may be the reason why the Icc Max option is not available. 

Also, we don't recommend changing the default settings of your processor, as doing so may impact the performance and may damage your unit.

If you would like to find more information about the requirements for this software, visit the article 'Product Features and Requirements for Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006636/processors/processor-utilities-and-programs.html).

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
TJyong02
Beginner
Is there a possible way to fix the 100% EDP throttling?
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TJyong02.

Thanks for reaching out to me.

The motherboard is not able to provide a high enough current for the given CPU. Pairing a low-power motherboard with a very high Thermal Design Power (TDP) chip can cause current throttling, even with current limits set to the maximum.

To have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

1. Where are you seeing the 100% EDP throttling?
  2. Did you do any major hardware or software changes before the issue started?
  3. Did your system suffer from any overheating symptoms, i.e. any blue screen or flickering, random shut down?
  4. Create a report using the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU)  

• Download the Intel SSU (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html)

• Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View." 

• Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View." 

• To save your scan: click on "Next"; then "Save." 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
TJyong02
Beginner
The max CPU this system allows me to use is a i7 9700F according to HP’s website manufacturer. I have not received any sort of problems as far as instability although I see a minor decrease in clock speeds as the the i7 9700F has a boost of 4.70ghz and I usually only see 4.40-4.52ghz. It’s showing 100% EPD limit throttling in XTU. I originally bought the PC from HP’s website over a year ago
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TJyong02,

I would like to have more insight into your issue, so please provide me with the following:

1. I understand the 100% EPD limit throttling on the XTU, but how do you receive this message? Did you run any stress tests on your unit?
  2. Provide me with a screenshot of the error message on the XTU.
  3. I want more information about the environment of your system, so please create a report using the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU)  

• Download the Intel SSU (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-window...)

• Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View." 

• To save your scan: click on "Next"; then "Save

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
TJyong02
Beginner

It’s 100% EDP limit throttling doing absolutely nothing.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TJyong02.

Thanks for the information provided.

I would also like to have more insight into the environment around your system, so please share with me a report using the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU)  

• Download the Intel SSU (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html)

• To save your scan: click on "Next"; then "Save." 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TJyong02,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
TJyong02
Beginner
Hello! Sorry for the delay, I ran the Intel SSU a few days ago and the system appears to say the processor status is “Ok” and “running at full power” so I guess I will accept that answer and assume the system is running as it should
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TJyong02,

I want to confirm where you see the processor status as "OK" when running the SSU. Please send me a screenshot of the information you see about the CPU.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TJyong02,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TJyong02.

I wanted to let you know the following information:

• As the XTU is not compatible with this processor, then the results of the throttling may not be accurate.
  • You mentioned a minor drop in the frequency, and it is important to emphasize that even if the processor supports up to 4.7GHz, it does not mean it will be always running at that speed. It will dynamically change with the workload and if hasn't reached the maximum speed is because the PC hasn't required it. Also, there is no manual way to make it reach the max frequency.

I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos