Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

10700 gets to continuous 80*C+ with stock cooler under even old games

Grisemine
Beginner

Hello, new config with 10700, no overclocking (yet), big tower with space and many big fans.

Under even older games (civ VI, Witcher 3, etc) the system goes to 80+in seconds and stays there. The cooler then get crazy. With bad programmed (ie no limitation to framerate) Unity games for instance, it goes even higher, to 90+ and stays there until the game stops. The sound of the ventilator is awful (even if it only goes to about 75% max speed. It can even go higher ?!).

It is not normal, is it ? Is the processor ok running hours at 80 or 90+ ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Grisemine,

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Grisemine,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

We understand that you are experiencing high temperatures with your processor even under regular workload.

To better assist you I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

• What tool are you using to monitor the system?
  • What is the CPU usage while running those games?
  • Does this occur under any other kind of workload?

According to the Intel® Core™ i7-10700 Processor Product specifications the processor supports a maximum temperature of 100C. That means that if the processor is not exceeding that temperature it might not be considered overheating.

However, we need to take some other things in consideration, such as drivers, BIOS, and the appropriate cooling solution for the kind of workload that you are planning to give to the computer.

To gather that information please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1.       Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2.      By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

3.       Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   

4.       To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Grisemine
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

I'm waiting for a better (and hopefully quiter) cooler solution. Meanwhile, and for reference for other users, here are the information. 

If I may tell my thinking, asking for these details is pretty useless. Heat seems a common problem with 10th gen + stock cooler.  Since made a search with "comet lake heat" and it returns hundred (thousands ....) of reviews and videos on this single topic. Had I red those before, I would probably have bought a Rizen.

But well, as we say "quand le vin est tiré, il faut le boire".

Have a nice day.

(and sorry for my approximative english)

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Grisemine,

Thank you for the information provided.

I understand that you ordered a different cooling solution to improve the thermals of your computer.

Please keep in mind that our stock thermal solution that comes with CPU is designed to meeting the default specification of the CPU. However, there are other factors that will affect system’s thermal performance, for instance chassis airflow design.

I would recommend to analyze the complete system’s thermal solution not just our stock thermal.

In case you are interested please check Overheating Symptoms and Troubleshooting For Intel® Boxed Processors

Additionally, in case that you consider that the fan that you received is defective please Contact Intel Support directly and we will be more than glad to check all the available options for you.

We appreciate your feedback and I would like to inform you that this information was routed to the appropriate department.

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Grisemine,

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Grisemine
Beginner

Hello Esteban had some problems connecting, had to remove cookies all is ok now.

Did not have time to install the new cooler, as I have to remove the main board to put the back plate and I need to work for now, but, well, it will sure be some way better.

Anyhow in standard bureautic use all is right, it is only with high end games that I have found too much heating. Will probably also be a problem for 3D CAD or video treatment.

I'm still convinced that the stock cooler is far too weak for this CPU. It should not be proposed at all (if nothing better can be included). But, well, will stop complaining. It's my new PC, have to go with it

And thank you for your advice !

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Grisemine,

Thank you for your response.

We understand, as previously stated I already this important feedback to the appropriate department so they can take it into consideration.

It’s great to know that the unit is working slightly better now, and hopefully, I you decide to install a different cooling solution for the appropriate workload that you are giving to the computer the temperatures will decrease.

That being said, If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.   

0 Kudos