Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

10900K won't TB past 4.9 GHz, eventhough it's super cool

BryanFury
New Contributor I

Hey there,

I've had Asus Maximus XII Formula, and I ran her on BiOS v. 0403 and 0606, but I've had this issue, of not being able to pass the 4.9 GHz Threshold on my 10900K with all settings set to Auto.

Now I have Asus Maximus XII Extreme, and I still have the same issue. It's strating to run me nuts. I mean I'm able to achieve all core 4.9 GHz easily with up to ~ 70°C, but when my PC idles and I load only 1 - 2 cores, it's always 4.9 GHz and all other cores run at 0.8 GHz.

Please tell me, is my CPU faulty?

These are some videos of how my CPU acts.

I tried clean install, no drivers, drivers, auto drivers, asus drivers, nothing. Still the same frequencies. I also tried Ai Overclock, I managed to get overvolted 5.1 GHz all core and some nasty temperatures [around 80 - 85°C].

In general what I want is to know that my CPU isn't defunct, I'd like to see it show at least for a blip 5.3 GHz on "auto" on single core/thread load :/

Please help and advise

With kind regards

Bryan

0 Kudos
28 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Here's my take on this: You started a single-core load - but you are running other applications to monitor things and Windows is running all sorts of tasks in the background. In order to see a single-core boost to the maximum, you need only that core running. Bottom line, I don't see your experiment as being a valid away to try and see this.

...S

0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

Hey there @n.scott.pearson​ !

Thank You kindly for You reply and allow me to elaborate.

So, this situation occurs even when I have loaded only 1 - 2 cores out of 10. So all cores are running at 0.8 GHz [in HWInfo 64] and the one or two cores are still ticking at 4.9 GHz :/. My point being, at the old 9900K, I've seen the 5.0 GHz boost clock to kick in from time to time, now I don't.

And second one, do You have any way on how to load ONLY the 1 - 2 cores? E.g. artifically disable the others?

Thank You and I stay with regards

Bryan

0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

A little update, and what I found out.

When I manually set each core clock/ratio and set amount of cores that can go with this setting, the threshold is 7 cores. 6 cores won't do the trick, all cores no matter how many are active will stay stuck on lowest set frequency, e.g. 4.9 Ghz, or whatever i set there [even the 5.3 GHz, if set].

When I set 7 cores, I see 5.3 GHz jumping pretty often in light threaded loads, when I set 8 cores, that's pretty much all I see. Temps are good, vCore not so great, all is set on auto, works better with SViD set to Inte's Fail Safe.

So, when I want to see 5.3 GHz boost, I need to set it to 7 - 8 cores, instead of 2, like the default. By default setting, the max. I saw was 5.0 Ghz for a microscopic blip of a second.

I hope that Asus will fix this in time, it seems like an issue of BiOS.

With kind regards

Bryan

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you checked to see if they provide a place in BIOS Setup that allows you to configure the multipliers to be used for one Core active, two Cores active, etc.? This is what you want...

...S

0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

Hey there @n.scott.pearson I did, and as I said, when I "force" Turbo Boost to 7 - 8 cores to 5.3 GHz, I have them, but "default" is 2 cores, 3 for 5.1 GHz, and 5 for 5 GHz and more for 4.9 GHz. This setting doesn't work, like at all. But from what I've seen on geekbench, many people have this same issue, with this CPU, I mean like all of them, besides maybe two? [probably manually overclocked]. They have the same score as I do. TBH, I'm on the 4th place in the world atm with "default" stock settings at this moment.

This is something with either Intel, or Asus, but I've seen it on other motherboards, here, take a look.

It seems like it's still in beta, not final :/ [UEFi/BiOS].

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you force Turbo Boost by loading in clock multipliers that are too high, you will have issues for sure. You may see power throttling, you may see TB refusing to boost because of temperatures, etc.

...S

0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

Yeah, about that...that would be a no for high multipliers, power throttling, or temperatures.

a.jpgb.jpgc.jpg

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello BryanFury

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Should you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

Hey there Andrew

Well, yes? I have two 10900K and TB isn't working on neither. It's not resolved.

With kind regards

Bryan

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello BryanFury

Thank you for your response.

We understand that you have some concerns regarding Intel® Turbo Boost Technology and also we noticed you are wondering if the processors are faulty.

In order to assist you with this, we would like you to run some tests and reports in order to check this further. Please kindly follow these steps:

1- Please load BIOS defaults and undo any overclocking setting or any setting that manipulated/changed processor frequency and/or voltage either in the BIOS or through software. Then confirm Intel® Turbo Boost is enabled in BIOS depending upon motherboard capabilities.

2- Run the Intel® Processor Identification Utility - Windows* Version. Click on File > Save to save the report.

3- Please provide an Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool report. To save the .txt report, once the test is done, click on File > View Results File.

4- Please perform a CPU stress test using Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU). During the test, please keep the Windows® Task Manager showing the "Performance tab". Please take some screenshots during the test making sure they capture both tools, for instance, side by side. Please let us know if you notice any throttling behavior.

5- Please provide Cooling Solution/Fan brand and model:

6- Computer Case/Chassis brand and model:

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about your system.

1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

2- Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Please include all the files and reports into a .zip file and attach it to this thread. To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Note:

Maximum turbo frequency indicates the highest possible frequency achievable when conditions allow the processor to enter turbo mode. There are different factors that have an impact on the achievable speed, for instance, processor temperature, type of workload, active cores, power consumption, environment, platform design, etc. Good system integration and thermal design are crucial to get the benefits of Intel Turbo Boost Technology.

Due to varying power characteristics, some parts with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology may not achieve maximum turbo frequencies when running heavy workloads and/or using multiple cores concurrently. Processors with the same model number running under the same operating conditions may see some frequency or power variance.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello BryanFury

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance and if you were able to check our previous post.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

Hey there @AndrewG_Intel

I've gotten my hands on some info regarding the settings for UEFi/BiOS in order to achieve "standard" frequencies, also, I purchased another 10900K for Z490I-Gaming and that one works okay on that mobo, so I'm gonna research this a bit further, and will update the thread by the end of this week [Saturday/Sunday], so bear with me please.

Thank You

With kind regards

Bryan

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello BryanFury

Thank you very much for your response. We understand you are doing additional research and we will wait for you to update this thread with more details. Should you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello BryanFury

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. If you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

Hey there Andrew

So I have the solution. Solution is, that Asus is c*appy company, that's the solution. XII Formula, XII Extreme, Z490I-Gaming, all have some super issues with 10900K.

I just tried Gigabyte Z490I-Gaming and voila, everything works as it should.

Asus isn't what it used to be

capture.png

Thank You for Your assistance, You can close this thread. Problem is buggy Asus UEFi/BiOS CPU profiles, or something.

With kind regards

Bryan

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello BryanFury

Thank you very much for your response.

We are glad to know that you were able to find a solution and thank you for sharing the details. As per your request, we will proceed to close this thread and it's been a pleasure to assist you.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Kyle939
Beginner

Good afternoon,

I know the previous post was solved, but I too have the same issue I believe.

It will not boost past 4.5 I've seen. I also have a 2080Ti but a small PSU at 650M... So what I thought is maybe it's not enough power to push the limit more? I do not have M.C.E on in the BIOS as I turned it off.  At 4.7 it's 61c at times, so it's a decent temp I think... Unless someone says otherwise.

I believe it's the PSU limiting the power but wondered if someone else could just let me know otherwise and go from there. I'll just literally throw my entire setup below so it's easier to help

MOBO: Asus TUF Z490 Plus
CPU: i9 10900K - Cooled by H100i (With push pull fans for extra cool)
RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz (HyperX and Vengeance X running)
GPU: MSI Geforce RTX 2080 TI 11GB SEA HAWK X (Water cooled with push pull fans)
PSU: Corsair TX 650M
HDD: 250GB M.2 SSD (Windows) 2TB SSD (Games) 2TB Backup/ Recording Drive.
Others: Main monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27 inch WQHD IPS G-SYNC 144Hz (OC 165Hz) Gaming Widescreen WLED, Secondary monitor: 27” 1440p AOC Q2778VQE, Logitech G502 Hero Mouse, Razer Deathstalker Keyboard, Logitech G35 Headset 7.1, Xbox One Controller, AG ACGRAM RGB Mouse Pad (Not plugged in), Oculus Rift S setup VR (Plugged in only when I use it)

I would like to have it push to the 5Ghz+ while keeping decent temps but I am not 100% on the best course. Do I need the overclock to be enabled to do that or is there a way to set the boost on the 10900K to limit at 5Ghz for example.

Something I just seen, task Manager is showing 4.3... Hardware Monitor CPUID is showing 4.9 and 5ghz :S

0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

@Kyle939 hey there buddy. It's the Asus moro*ism. I'm also running 10900K on iTX board from Gigabyte [Aorus] with 750W SFX PSU from Corsair, I'm seeing 5.3 GHz all the time.

I'm having 1200 PSU on my main rig, still no boost above 4.9 GHz. It's just Asus and their all core boost whatever feature.

0 Kudos
Kyle939
Beginner

Hey there @BryanFury  - It's nice to know I am not alone. 4.7 is the limit I've seen.

So the board is the issue, not the PSU. I thought about buying a new PSU like an 850 but pointless I guess?

0 Kudos
BryanFury
New Contributor I

Doode, look at my rig. When that can't hit it, PSU won't help, trust me.

This little piece of tu*d is hitting it mornin' to evening.

It's an Asus "feature". But hey, TUF is one of the weakest boards, so that might be a first problem, but I think she's tryna to run it all core that's why she's hitting it so bad. But I'm pretty positive that PSU isn't the culprit in Your case.

You have a rock solid build my friend, so get a rock solid motherboard. I'm suggesting You get Aorus Master or something. It's cheap and it get's the job done. Yes, the fan profiles and control su*ks like hell and BiOS/UEFi stability is also always subpar comparedto Asus, but at least it delivers what You're payin' for. 

0 Kudos