Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

10900X and Windows 11 MBEC support?

markotosevski
Beginner

Hi there.

I'm just wondering if my 10900X cpu supports this feature?

https://imgur.com/a/011mG64

This app reports that the 10900X cpu doesn't support MBEC. So I'm interested if this is correct or it the app incorrectly reporting this?

Thanks for any answers.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
DeividA_Intel

Hello markotosevski, 

After deep research, we found that the MBE is part of the VT-x spec, so any processor showing support for VT-x will support MBE, which the Intel® i9-10900X Processor does. 

I hope this is the information that was looking for. Do not forget to check also with Microsoft for any information related to Windows 11 and compatibility.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello markotosevski, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities

I will proceed to check this inquiry internally in order to provide you accurate information, and I will post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello markotosevski, 

Based on the research performed, the mode-based Execute control (MBEC) is not a feature supported by Intel® Core™ i9-10900X X-series Processor as the test that you ran mentioned.

For any official information about compatibility and support for Windows 11, I recommend you to check with Microsoft.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
markotosevski
Beginner

Hi thanks for your answer.

I found this on Microsoft's website:

Because it makes use of Mode Based Execution Control, HVCI works better with Intel Kaby Lake or AMD Zen 2 CPUs and newer. Processors without MBEC will rely on an emulation of this feature, called Restricted User Mode, which has a bigger impact on performance.

Can someone explain this because I find it confusing especially the part that says Kaby Lake and newer?

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello markotosevski, 

I am going to check this statement from Microsoft and if I need further details or if I have any update I will let you know as soon as possible.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello markotosevski, 

In order to help you further with this inquiry, please provide the following:

1. A link to the website where you read the information.

2. Why exactly are you interested in this feature?

3. Try to contact Microsoft to confirm what is this information based on.

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
markotosevski
Beginner

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/device-guard/enable-virtualization-based-protection-of-code-integrity

I'm just interested if my 10900X cpu actually supports this feature because on the author's website of this app/tool I noticed a screenshot with his 9700K which reports MBEC feature as being present, while for me it says MBEC feature missing. https://bytejams.com/

Basically I'm just trying to find out if the app is incorrectly reporting or the 10900X doesn't support some aspects of MBEC as the app reports. I know that the 10900X came out Q4 2019 so I find this strange that a newer cpu wouldn't fully support this feature yet the older 9700K according to the app fully supports this. I have ran Microsoft's official Windows 11 compatibility app and it says that my PC meets the system requirements for running Win 11.

Well I didn't ask Microsoft anything about this because I thought that asking here was more relevant because I'm asking about certain features supported by my cpu.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello markotosevski, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello markotosevski, 

After deep research, we found that the MBE is part of the VT-x spec, so any processor showing support for VT-x will support MBE, which the Intel® i9-10900X Processor does. 

I hope this is the information that was looking for. Do not forget to check also with Microsoft for any information related to Windows 11 and compatibility.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos