Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

10920x only boosting to 4.3

sweatervest
Beginner

My 10920x is only boosting to 4.3 GHz instead of 4.6 and 4.8 on 2 cores. I have an Asus X299 Gaming II motherboard. I recently cleared CMOS and disabled Asus Multi Core Enhancement, but my problem persist.

I have verified this running Cinebench while monitoring core frequency HWinfo, and running the benchmark in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility which shows the Maximum Processor Frequency as 4.28 GHz and Highest CPU Temperature as 57C. 

I have also run Intel Diagnostic Processor Tool and all tests have passed.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @sweatervest

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide us with the following details?

1- Screenshots or a short video showing the results of the tests and monitoring results with HWinfo* and Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU).

2- Could you please also share the report of the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool? To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

3- Is this a new system? Did it work as expected before? If this worked as expected before, was there any recent hardware or software change (Windows*/driver/software/BIOS updates?) that might relate to the point when the behavior started?

4- Besides this behavior, are you experiencing any other problems (related to that behavior)? For instance, performance issues, stuttering in games, input lag, make games unplayable, etc. Please provide details.

5- Cooler Solution/Fan brand and model:

6- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
sweatervest
Beginner

1&2- Attached

3- This is not a new system, but I have had this issue since it was built. I have been searching for an answer for a while before finally asking for help. 

4- No problems, unless I set my core ratio to "By Specific Core" in my bios. The system will then run 4.6 and 4.8 on two cores, but will become unstable.

5- Corsair H115i Platinum with included fans.

6- Attached

Thanks!

Sweatervest

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello sweatervest

Thank you for your response and for all the information provided. Please allow us to check this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
sweatervest
Beginner
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello sweatervest

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, we would like to recommend trying the following and then testing again to see if the behavior is different:

1- Based on the Intel® SSU report, we noticed that the system is running BIOS 0702 and it seems there is a new BIOS available for your system (Version 0901), so we would like to advise updating the BIOS to this latest version 0901*. For proper update instructions, pre-update considerations/requisites, release notes, and any other important information related to this process, we highly recommend contacting your motherboard manufacturer (OEM) for proper guidance: ASUS* Support.

2- It also seems that Intel® XMP (Extreme Memory Profiles) has been enabled since the Intel® SSU is reporting that the memory RAM is running at 3200MHz** when the processor supports DDR4-2933 based on Ark.intel.com. In this case, please set the BIOS in default setting and run all the tests to confirm the processor performance, including Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) and Intel® Processor Identification Utility.

If the behavior persists, please kindly provide a new Intel® SSU report, screenshots of the new tests, and additional details about the outcome/tests.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

**Note: Altering PC memory frequency and/or voltage may reduce system stability and use life of the system, memory and processor; cause the processor and other system components to fail; cause reductions in system performance; cause additional heat or other damage; and affect system data integrity. Altering the frequency and/or voltage outside of Intel specifications may void the processor warranty. Examples: Overclocking and enabling Intel® XMP, which is a type of memory overclocking, and using it beyond the given specifications may void the processor warranty.

0 Kudos
sweatervest
Beginner

Andrew,

BIOS has been updated to 901 and only changed ASUS MCE to disabled. Results are a bit worse.

In the Cinebench test, all cores mostly sat at 3.991GHz. In the Intel test, it shows max frequency as 3.87GHz. 

Both USB 2.0 devices plugged into the USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard disconnected while running the Cinebench test on the first try. The second one they disconnected after. This may be due to conflicts with iCue and HWiNFO64, but I have not had this problem before. Did a proper reboot after both events, but system logs show that the system did not shut down properly for some reason. 

I have attached screenshots and results from the tests.

Thanks!

Sweatervest

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello sweatervest

Thank you for your response and for all the details. We are looking into these new results and reviewing the recent reports. As soon as we have more details to share we will be posting them here in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello sweatervest

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, our conclusion is that the processor is working fine and all the tests run confirmed that the processor is working under specifications.

As per results from Intel® Processor Identification Utility, the expected versus measured frequency matches 3.5GHz which is as advertised for Base Frequency.

Given that both Intel® Turbo Boost Technology and Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 are opportunistic it should be noted that the processor is working fine.

Previous tests from you confirmed one core able to reach 4.8GHz which would match Intel® Turbo Boost 3.0 and other cores can operate independently at higher than 3.5GHz (anything higher than that is considered within specifications and target).

For optimal performance what we can suggest is for you to contact the motherboard manufacturer (OEM) to check which other settings in BIOS can be tweak for optimal power delivery to the CPU. For your convenience, here is the link to ASUS* Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello sweatervest

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
sweatervest
Beginner
Oh sorry, Andrew. I will get in touch with Asus. Thank you for all your help!
0 Kudos
SystormX
Beginner

I'm curious, did you solve your problem? If not, than solution is probably is turn off XMP, yes those CPU like "Pentium 1" without XMP, but we don't want to void the warranty. Second, try update the BIOS.

I was wondering the same, only without XMP it's boosting to 4.8Ghz, in rendering 3.5Ghz, so it's useless. So I did OC all cores to 4.3, did undervolting, on AIR, max temp is 75C, mostly always under 70C.

0 Kudos