Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

10th Gen Laptops Extreme Slowness/Freezing

siralexduke
Beginner

Hello! I work for a nonprofit organization of about 150 users. Generally speaking, we purchase refurbished computers due to the fact that we don't require a lot of performance for what we do, however, we recently got a batch of HP Envy x360 15m-ed0013dx laptops (Core i5 1035G1), as well as two Dell Latitude 9510s (Core i7 10810U) and we're having the same issue with both. 

The setup for both has been a fresh install of Windows 10 Enterprise/Pro, download drivers and firmware as recommended by the respective manufacturer, run all updates, add to domain (our DC is WinServer 2008 R2 still, but I believe this should be fine for Win10 clients), and installation of simple applications, such as Chrome, Adobe Acrobat X, Office 2019, MalwareBytes managed client, and some of our enterprise applications, such as Laserfiche. The computers work fine and are extremely fast for a while, but eventually they begin acting extremely lethargic, even taking minutes to open an app as simple as Chrome or Edge. The only solution is to reboot. I have noticed that waking the computers from sleep is the most common way the issue starts, as well as switching users and signing in under a different domain account.

We spent hours on the phone with Dell support to no avail, they recommended swapping the computers out, but this happens on both of the 9510s we got, and is happening to all 3 HPs, so I suspect something to do with the 10th gen Intel processors or chipset in general. Any recommendations as to what we can try?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello siralexduke,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community.

To better assist you, please provide me with the below information:

•  Open the task manager to verify the CPU usage while doing regular tasks, please attach a screenshot to see how much it reaches.

Please run the following tool in Windows* and attach the report generated. 

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (IPDT)

• Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool download.
  • The diagnostic tool checks for brand identification, verifies the processor operating frequency, tests specific processor features and performs a stress test on the processor.
  • To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

Please run the tools in both systems, and attach them with the system name. 

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
siralexduke
Beginner

Thank you for the response! We actually ended up sending the 9510s back, due to lack of resolution on the issue, and we were going to exceed the allowable return period. They were exchanged with 9410s with the i5-10210U, and so far, seem to not have the same issue as the other machines. We do still have the HPs though, so the attached results will be for one of those machines.

When I woke the computer from sleep, the issue was present, so it took some time to get task manager to open, and once it opened, it stopped responding, but the attached photo shows System Interrupts taking almost all CPU resources. The two test results should also be attached.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello siralexduke,

Thank you very much for the information provided, I will check the reports internally and post back as soon as possible with the next steps.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello siralexduke,

After checking this internally, I can say that we cannot address the issue to the 10 gen processors, according to the IPDT report, the processor passed the test and it is working properly.

I also checked similar reports, but I was unable to find them. The system's performance will depend on other components like the motherboard, RAM, storage (HDD/SSD), Operating System (OS), drivers, applications, etc.  Since the systems you are using are Laptops, we can say that are highly customized systems, and the performance/limitations will depend on the specific Original Equipment Manufacturer design. In this case, Intel just provides the CPU in stock settings, and we do not have control over any customization that the equipment manufacturer has performed.

We can provide you with some recommendations that may help you:

BIOS

• Update the BIOS to the latest version.
  • Use the default settings on BIOS, undo any change you performed.

Apps/Tools installed

• Verify that you met the minimum requirements to run the apps/tools that you are using.

Contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)

• We recommend using the drivers/updates provided by the OEM because they were tested and approved to work with the specific system.
  • Only the equipment manufacturer is able to confirm if the PC is working under the expectations or provide you more information about limitations or specs (SSD/HDD, Motherboard, etc) to get the optimal performance on Laptop systems.

We will leave the thread open for a few days, in case you want to share with us feedback or steps the manufacturer may provide.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello siralexduke,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos