Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

10th gen i7 CPU displays as Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz in PC about info

OdMiTiMbO
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm writing as I am curious as to why the CPU clock speed displays as 2.6ghz and 2.59ghz? In PC about info it shows "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz"

Is it stating 2.59ghz because the CPU is underclocked for some reason, like some kind of manufacturer setting or is it some kind of manufacturing fault, or is 100mhz reserved for some other process?

Kind regards

Tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

LOL! No, this is purely a round off error in the calculation being made by whatever software is supporting this About display. The "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz" portion is the fixed brand string for your processor, obtained from the CPUID instruction. Remember that the clock speed of your processor is constantly changing, based upon load and other factors. It will be automatically reduced, for example, when the system is idle (due to Intel Speed Step Technology). It can even be higher than the maximum displayed in the brand string (due to the Intel Turbo Boost feature).

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

LOL! No, this is purely a round off error in the calculation being made by whatever software is supporting this About display. The "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz" portion is the fixed brand string for your processor, obtained from the CPUID instruction. Remember that the clock speed of your processor is constantly changing, based upon load and other factors. It will be automatically reduced, for example, when the system is idle (due to Intel Speed Step Technology). It can even be higher than the maximum displayed in the brand string (due to the Intel Turbo Boost feature).

...S

OdMiTiMbO
Beginner
Thanks for your time Scott!

Haha, yeah I spent hours researching online and wondering why my older i7 cpu displays both values as the same but not my newer one. Well that makes sense.

Take care all the best

Kind regards

Tim
0 Kudos