Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14504 Discussions

11600k thermal throttling

DjGiorgos
Beginner

Need help!

I have upgraded my cpu from 11400f to 11600k. When i am running Aida64 stress test, I have power throttling, thermal throttling and 103 degrees c. in HWmonitor for few seconds, then the temp drops to 70c and clocks running at 4300mhz and after a while goes up to 94c and thermal throttles again dropping to 4200mhz. All these with power limits on. When i had done the same test with the 11400f and without power limits, had no problem and with the same specs.

Specs:

Mobo: MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK

Processor: i5-11600k

Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3600mhz xmp on

PSU: Corsair SF 750

Cpu cooler: EK AIO 280 D-RGB

What could be the issue? I have checked everything twice. Especially the AIO mounting.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello DjGiorgos

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Many Intel® processors make use of Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, which allows them to operate at very high frequency for a short amount of time. When the processor is operating at or near its maximum frequency it's possible for the temperature to climb very rapidly and quickly reach its maximum temperature. In sustained workloads, it's possible the processor will operate at or near its maximum temperature limit. Being at maximum temperature while running a workload isn't necessarily cause for concern. Intel processors constantly monitor their temperature and can very rapidly adjust their frequency and power consumption to prevent overheating and damage.

We do not provide typical temperature operating ranges for each processor, as it can vary based on the system design and workload. Operating ranges below the protection points are highly dependent on system configuration and workload. You can find the thermal specifications for specific processors in Intel® Core™ Processor technical documentation which includes the temperature limits in which Intel processors are guaranteed to operate. For the Intel® Core™ i5-11600K Processor, the maximum temperature (Junction Temperature also known as TJunction) allowed at the processor die is 100°C.

Processors have two modes of thermal protection, throttling, and automatic shutdown. When a core exceeds the set throttle temperature, it will start to reduce power to bring the temperature back below that point. The throttle temperature can vary by processor and BIOS settings. Some causes for this are a thermal solution failure or incorrect assembly.

Also, Intel® Turbo Boost Technology allows the processor cores to run faster than the rated operating frequency if they’re operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits. Good system integration and thermal design are crucial to get the benefits of Intel Turbo Boost Technology. If the processor is able to go beyond the Processor Base Frequency (3.90 GHz) we can say the feature is working fine.

You may try to disable the CPU Throttling following these steps:

• Go to Windows* Power Options
  • Click on Change plan settings
  • Click on Change advanced power settings 
  • Click on Processor Power Management and set both options for Maximum and Minimum up to 100 Percent.

Also, please review the recommendations in this article regarding overheating issues: Overheating Symptoms and Troubleshooting for Intel® Boxed Processors

If the behavior persists, please provide the following information:

1- Is this behavior occurring since the very first day that you have the new processor?

2- Have you checked the processor and the cooler and made sure they are properly installed? Have you checked the condition of the thermal paste? You may refer to this link for further details: How to Apply Thermal Paste and How It Works?.

3- Is the behavior occurring only when you run stress tests? Also, besides seeing this behavior (throttling), are you experiencing any other problems? (performance issues, system crashes, etc?). Please provide details.

4- When you said "power limits on", are you changing any settings related to this? either on BIOS, using Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU), or any other application? Please provide details.

5- We noticed you mentioned that Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) is on. What is the RAM speed that was set/configured?

6- Please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unite) are fine.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

7- Perform a CPU stress test using Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU). During the test, please keep the Windows® Task Manager showing the "Performance tab". Please take some screenshots during the test making sure they capture both tools, for instance, side by side. Please let us know if you notice any throttling behavior.

8- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @DjGiorgos

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
DjGiorgos
Beginner

Thanks a lot for your assistance and I'm sorry for the late replay!

I discover that the problem it was with my motherboard. A slight bent wouldn't let the Aio block to touch the whole Cpu properly and that was the reason of thermal throttling. Probably didn't affect the 11400F because it wasn't get as hot as the 11600K. Finally all the tests i have run with the new motherboard were perfect and everything is running smooth.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello DjGiorgos

Perfect!, it is good to know that you managed to find the root cause of the problem and we are glad to know that after replacing the motherboard now the unit is working fine. Thank you for your response and for this feedback.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now since we understand the system and tests are fine with the new motherboard. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos