Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

11700k high cpu usage when underload

CW1962
Novice

pc specs 

intel 11700k

Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite AX

Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology

EVGA - W1 Series 600W ATX 12V/EPS 12V 80 Plus Power Supply

G.Skill RipJaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM (PC4-21300) DDR4 2666 CL18-18-18-38 1.20V Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-2666C18D-64GVK

be quiet! 250W TDP Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler with Silent Wings - PWM Fan

After have many problems with my old amd pc 

I had used a friends pc for a few weeks had no problems so I decided to build a new pc with the same specs.

The only things that is different between the two pcs is he had a 10700k and I have the 11700k and his power supply was a 850 watt and mine is a 600 watt

Could my cpu running at 100% when under load be because I have a small watt power supply?

or is the 11700k have problem running under a load?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello CW1962,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Does the issue occur during specific tasks?
  2. Do get any BSOD or error messages?
  3. Have you tested the CPU in a different system?
  4. Screenshot of task manager under the performance and the processes tabs.

Also, please download and install the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
CW1962
Novice

Thanks for your reply. I am not where that PC is right now but I will get this to you as soon as I can.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello CW1962,

Sure! We will wait for you to be able to get the information requested.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
CW1962
Novice

Ok sorry it took so long. Here is the file and the response to your 3 question. 

1. It only does it when I am creating and editing music. But it did not have any issues doing this  on the 10700k I was using

2. The BSOD was because of bad ram I got from Newegg once I replaced the ram I no longer have BSOD

3. I have not tested the CPU in another system all my music software is license software and I can't install on  second PC.

4. I will send screenshots later thought it would be better to do screenshots while I am editing music.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello CW1962,

Thank you for the information provided, we will wait for you to send us the screenshots. If possible, please send us a screenshot of when you are editing music and when the system is on idle. 

Also, please download and run our Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, this will run a series of tests on the processor to check if everything is working fine. Please take a screenshot of the results and attach it to your response. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
CW1962
Novice

Ok I think I have everything you ask for. 

Thanks for your Help.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello CW1962,

Thank you for the screenshots provided, it is important for you to know that it is expected behavior that on high demanding apps, the processor usage will be high as it needs to use more resources to run the application without issues. However, there are always some recommendations to try to lower the processor usage. 

In this case, we noticed that there is a newer BIOS version available for your system, you are currently using version F7, however, the latest version available on the motherboard's website is version F8a, please update the BIOS and test how the system works. If you need assistance with the update process, please contact the motherboard manufacturer for specific instructions. 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Also, one of the recommendations is to keep your system fully up to date, please try updating drivers and the OS to the latest version to keep your system with the latest software available. 

Please try running a stress test, for this, download our Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) and run a stress test. Let me know the results of it. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

As extra information, you may find useful tips in our article "How to Fix High CPU Usage". Please try the recommendations available and let me know the results. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/how-to-fix-high-cpu-usage.html

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
CW1962
Novice

Thanks for your reply.  I know that the Ableton Live 11 is causing most of the high cpu usage.

But the part I don't under stand is why my old Amd pc did not high cpu usage While using Ableton Live 11 and when I was using the borrowed PC with the 10700k it did not have high cpu usage while using Ableton Live 11.

I will try the other thing you suggested and will let you know what happens.

If this does not work I am going to borrow the 10700k to see what the results are.

Thanks for you help and time

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello CW1962,

You are very welcome, we will wait for you to try our recommendations. 

Let us know the results. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello CW1962,

Were you able to try our suggestions?

Let us know if you need our assistance. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
CW1962
Novice

Hi sorry took so long to get back to you been busy with work.

What we did was try the 11700k on my friends pc that had the 10700k I was using before.

The 11700k did not have the high cpu usage with  Ableton Live 11 running. So we put the 11700k back in my pc and his power supply and then my pc no longer had very high cpu usage. I bought a new high end 850 gold power supply for now ever thing runs great. Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello CW1962,

I am glad to hear that the issue is now solved and everything is working fine. Thank you for sharing with us the information on how you solve it, this will be useful for other community members with similar issues. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos