Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

11th gen cpu why no SGX?

alexcoluzzi32
Beginner
I want to build a machine to do one thing and one thing only: playback a 4K UHD blu ray movie from a supported UHD 4K optical drive (LG WH16NS60) using the PowerDVD ultra program.

To do this the CPU needs to support SGX (among other things).

Looking at the spec for the new CPU I’m seeing SGX = no.
Is there something that replaces SGX or is this Intel’s way of telling me to go pound sand?

Thank you for your advice!!!

PSo I’d heard the new cpu supports HDR and Dolby Vision video but t
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello alexcoluzzi32, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

Please allow us to confirm this information internally, once we have an answer we will post it on this thread. 

Kindly wait for a response.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello alexcoluzzi32,  

Thanks for waiting. 

After double-checking internally, I would like to confirm that UHD BluRay playback will not work starting with Tiger Lake platforms (11th generation processors) as SGX is required. Standard BluRay playback will still work. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@Sebastian_M_Intel, you didn't answer the actual question: *why* isn't support for SGX included?

...S

0 Kudos
alexcoluzzi32
Beginner

Thanks Sebastian but as someone else already pointed out that doesn't answer the "why" question.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

We can't comment on the decisions taken during product development and manufacturing.

I'll ask and see if there is any particular reason why SGX is no longer supported, if I get a solid response I'll update this thread, but can't really promise anything at this point. 

I apologize beforehand because I know it is still not the answer you're looking for.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
F_ORE
Novice

I think SGX has been a total flop... just PowerDVD uses it for UHD playback... moreover SGX isn't so secure as claimed by Intel... so small wonder they aren't going to support it anymore!

0 Kudos