Specs:

12700KF

MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4

32 GB G Skill TridentZ 3200MHz

MSI RTX 2080 super

Samsung 970 pro 500gb boot drive

EVGA 850w bronze PSU

MSI MAG CORELIQUID C240

I have been dealing with an issue where my CPU is not boosting past 3.8 GHz in any task. I was recently undergoing some trouble shooting and noting that my CPU was underperforming in tasks. In the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, The speed optimizer Has a all core frequency of 4.8 GHz. But when I run the XTU2 benchmark I only boost to a MAX core frequency of 3.8 GHz. I have upgraded to windows 11 and updated motherboard BIOS and seen mild improvements in overall performance but seem to be stuck at this max core frequency. I had also considered a power delivery issue, but I haven't seen any issues with that nor have I had any temperature issues. Multiple temperature recording applications have shown that even under stress I don't get above 50C.  My current score in XTU2 is 4735. Any guidance would be helpful!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Louiegon_07,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i7-12700KF Processor.

I would like to let you know that Intel does not advise/support overclocking (forcing the CPU to go above the specifications) since this can damage the CPU and may void the warranty. You can try to enable the Turbo boost that can increase the CPU frequency, but it will increase it depending on the task and if is needed. It cannot be set manually.

If you reinstall the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) and the issue persists, it may be related to something besides the tool. Try to get in contact with MSI to get support and instructions since you may need to enable a feature or option in the BIOS that allows you to overclock.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos