Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

12900K Max Turbo Boost 3.0

FliesEyes
Novice

Hi,

I am chasing more information regarding my Processor with regards to system settings and how some of this technology works.  I seem to only find marketing jargon so hoping to find some my technical feedback.

For the 12900K Processor and Max Turbo Boost Tech 3.0, I have been receiving conflicting information.  I have been told by some that it will only use this Boost on the 1 Core however I have been reading articles that have been noting that the 12900K will find the best 2 Cores (Golden Cores) and use the MTB 3.0 on these which in my case should be 5.2Ghz.  Are the articles I am reading getting Cores and Thread terminology mixed up?

I am running some CAD automation scripts (creating drawings, running revision updates, creating PDF drawings sets)  so nothing super complex and unfortunately all single-threaded operations.  I was expecting to see with this workload that some cores might Boost to 5.1Ghz and some cores boosting 5.2Ghz.  I am not getting anything like these values.   I am getting 4.9Ghz on the Pcores and 3.9Ghz on the Ecores.   Even though my software is throwing Single_Threaded operations at the Processor the operating system is distributing the workload across all the cores.  This in my mind is using an average of the Pcores and Ecores and not the fast solution as it could be if the operation was pushed to the single fastest core.  I can appreciate that would isolate all the heat to 1 part of the Processor but with these scripts running for an hour once a day I doubt that would be detrimental.   I am interested to know exactly what is going on with these workloads and how the Processor is managing this type of work so I can look into how to get some improved performance with these activities.  Current temps when running these scripts are sitting between 45 and 50 degrees.

With the MTB 3.0 functionality can it hold and sustain these boost speeds for prolonged periods of time or should we be expecting just split seconds of boost?

Do I need to go into the BIOS to enable these boost technologies or should they activate without the need to make any manual changes to the system?

Apologies for the long-winded questions, but I am trying to be very specific to avoid generic sales and marketing responses.  As Gill Boyd would say, "If it is hard to find the answers, it is normally because they don't want us to know"..... 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

FliesEyes, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We will do our best to try to provide all the details that you are looking for.

Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 identifies the best performing core(s) on a processor and provides increased performance on those cores through increasing frequency as needed by taking advantage of power and thermal headroom. Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 frequency is the clock frequency of the CPU when running in this mode. 

"I was expecting to see with this workload that some cores might Boost to 5.1Ghz and some cores boosting 5.2Ghz. I am not getting anything like these values. I am getting 4.9Ghz on the Pcores and 3.9Ghz on the Ecores": 

For the Intel® Core™ i9-12900K processor, as you mentioned, it should be 5.20 GHz. What that means is that it can reach up to 5.20 GHz but not necessarily indicates that will reach the value for sure. As long as it passes the base frequency, which is 3.20 GHz for Performance-core Base Frequency and 2.40 GHz for Efficient-core Base Frequency, it means that the feature is working properly.

"Current temps when running these scripts are sitting between 45 and 50 degrees.": 

Perfect, The T-junction of the processor is 100°C, any temperature result equal to or below that value is considered normal and expected for this unit:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134599/intel-core-i912900k-processor-30m-cache-up-to-5-20-ghz.html

"With the MTB 3.0 functionality can it hold and sustain these boost speeds for prolonged periods of time or should we be expecting just split seconds of boost?":

Intel Turbo Boost Technology is a way to automatically run the processor core faster than the marked frequency. The processor must be working in the power, temperature, and specification limits of the thermal design power (TDP). This results in increased performance of both single and multithreaded applications. There is no need to install any software or application to support Intel® Turbo Boost Technology. It will be activated depending on the load of work at the time.

"Do I need to go into the BIOS to enable these boost technologies or should they activate without the need to make any manual changes to the system?":

Intel Turbo Boost Technology is enabled by default on supported processors. You can disable or enable the technology with a switch in the BIOS. No other user-controllable settings to change Intel Turbo Boost Technology operation are available. Once enabled, Intel Turbo Boost Technology works automatically under operating system control.

In the following links you will find further details about this technology, including FAQs, in order to complement the information provided previously:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000021587/processors.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007359/processors/intel-core-processors.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
FliesEyes
Novice

Hi,

Thanks for your response.  These are the types of sales marketing responses I am trying to avoid.

Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 identifies the best performing core(s) on a processor and provides increased performance on those cores through increasing frequency as needed by taking advantage of power and thermal headroom. Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 frequency is the clock frequency of the CPU when running in this mode. 

Any chance we can get this explained in detail but in general public terms?  First question, does the TBMT 3.0 allow only a Single Core, Two Cores, Many Cores if their performance allows.  I am getting conflicting reports so seeking clarification.

Can TBMT 3.0 sustain a 5.2Ghz speed on a 12900K Processor or is it only hitting those values for split seconds?  

From the brief testing, I have done so far the 12900K Processor is a 4.9Ghz out of the box Processor that can be pushed to 5.4Ghz and still retain a reasonably stable environment, for my application anyhow.   Any reference to stock boost values out of the box I am not finding unless there are manual settings that need to be enabled.  Motherboard vendor doesn't seem to think their hardware is preventing MBMT 3.0 from working.

The whole turbo boost speed and max boost values seem to be purely sales and market values that offer no value to compute workload.

I am open to as many facts that you can legally provide, I am not open to more token marketing spin.  Even access or direction as to where I can find the facts and the good oil would be of assistance.

Keep up the good work.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

FliesEyes, You are very welcome.

"First question, does the TBMT 3.0 allow only a Single Core, Two Cores, Many Cores if their performance allows": 

It works on many cores, depending on the load of work.

"Can TBMT 3.0 sustain a 5.2Ghz speed on a 12900K Processor or is it only hitting those values for split seconds? ":

It depends on the load of work. The processor will detect automatically if it needs to activate the TBMT 3.0 and for how long. As soon as it detects that it can handle the load of work without the need of using the TBMT 3.0, it will get deactivated automatically.

"12900K Processor is a 4.9Ghz out of the box Processor that can be pushed to 5.4Ghz":

Yes, it can be pushed, but does not necessarily mean it will reach 5.4Ghz.

"Any reference to stock boost values out of the box"

These are the values expected for the processor:

Max Turbo Frequency5.20 GHz

Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Frequency ‡5.20 GHz

Performance-core Max Turbo Frequency5.10 GHz

Efficient-core Max Turbo Frequency3.90 GHz

Performance-core Base Frequency3.20 GHz

Efficient-core Base Frequency2.40 GHz

"unless there are manual settings that need to be enabled. Motherboard vendor doesn't seem to think their hardware is preventing MBMT 3.0 from working.":

In terms of MBMT 3.0 there are no manual settings to be enabled in the BIOS. You can disable or enable the technology with a switch in the BIOS, that will be the only option available related to the feature. 

Still, depending on the board you will be able to manually set different parameters for the processor, like overclocking or downclocking, We advise to confirm those details directly with the manufacturer of the motherboard. Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components. May reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.  

"Motherboard vendor doesn't seem to think their hardware is preventing MBMT 3.0 from working.": 

Everything related to the BIOS is supported by the manufacturer of the board.

Check with the manufacturer of the motherboard and components directly for additional details and further assistance on the options and settings available in their BIOS.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos