Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

12900KS Current/EDP Limit throttling

UserMac
Beginner

Keep seeing Current/EDP Limit throttling warning showing in yellow on the XTU Software.

I am under the impression this warning comes up if the CPU is not being given the correct amount of voltage from the motherboard please correct me if I am wrong I am trying to understand if I have an issue with my hardware.

I have not yet enabled any motherboard enhancements I am running completely default settings using Intel recommended settings for now until I can get more information on why I see this warning  [Current/EDP Limit throttling]

Motherboard - Asus Z690 Hero 

CPU  12900KS which is set to default Intel recommended settings

Current EDP Limit Thottling.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

UserMac, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

"I am under the impression this warning comes up if the CPU is not being given the correct amount of voltage from the motherboard please correct me if I am wrong":

In reference to your inquiry, to answer your question, yes, you are correct, that is one of the reasons why the "Current/EDP Limit throttling" is yellow while using the Intel® XTU application.

Still, there are other reasons why this can happen, and in the following link you will find further details on this topic, please follow the instructions for the "Current Limit Throttling" in there and once you get the chance, let us know the results.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000039154/processors/intel-core-processors.html

Additionally, in order to rule out a possible hardware problem with the Intel® processor, we recommend to install and run the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test, it means it is working properly:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?ws=idsa-suggested#q=intel%20processor%20diagnostic%20tool&sort=relevancy&f:@tabfilter=[Downloads]

"I have not yet enabled any motherboard enhancements I am running completely default settings using Intel recommended settings":

Perfect, excellent, we always recommend to use the Intel® processor at stock configurations and with the default BIOS settings. Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. 

It is important to mention that in some cases depending on the board being used, even if the BIOS is working at default settings there might be settings that will overclock the processor automatically, and it may cause this type of behavior. In order to confirm those details, we recommend to get in contact directly with ASUS support since they handle all the technical support related to the BIOS. Also, once you contact them, please make sure to chek if the latest BIOS version is currently installed in your motherboard or, if necessary, to gather the instructions on how to do that:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JaykaBaka
Beginner

I have this same exact problem with my 12900KS and my Asus Z690-F motherboard. 

I am not over/underclocking my processor.

I went to download the diagnostic from link in the Intel reply, but the processor diagnostic doesn't support 12th gen CPU's yet!

0 Kudos