14536 Discussions

13600K BSOD when Turbo boost enabled

leogecko
Beginner

HI

I have the following

MSI Tomahawk z690 DDR4 wifi with latest bios

3600 c18 Ram

Running basic bios setup,  when Intel Turbo boost is enabled PC will blue screen on boot up or with in the 30 seconds of showing the desktop.   Removed all external components used on board video for same results.  Swapped Ram no luck.   Clean install of windows.  Boot to safe mode works fine.  Blue screens rotate errors,  IRQ, write to non memory space, page fault.   Windows install will blue screen at times when turbo is enabled

Disable turbo pc will work fine.  Have water cooler, have monitored no issues with heat.  Intel diagnostics pass when running without turbo, cant keep its running long enough to run the tool with turbo enabled. 

Any suggestions would be great, I am at  a loss.  Any one see this.  Issue with board or processor?  Both are brand new

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @leogecko  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am sorry to hear what is happening to your processor, I will gladly assist you here. 

Please, answer these questions to have a better perspective of this issue: 

1. Was it working before? When did the issue start to happen? 
  2. Test and run these utilities and attach the reports and screenshots. Let us know what happens when turbo boost is on and the results when it's off, check on the notes: 

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool 

Note: As soon as you run it, it will start testing, please attach the complete Screenshot or click on "File", select the "View Results File" option, save, and attach the report. 

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) 

Note: Click on the "Stress Test" tab and "Start Testing" and then, attach a complete screenshot. 

Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. 

Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
leogecko
Beginner

HI

Thanks for the reply.

It has never worked,  I managed to get windows installed and it started blue screening after a couple min.  I can not keep windows up long enough to run any of the reports unless turbo is off then it is stable.  Sometimes it will BSOD after a minute other times shortly after posting before it gets to windows log in

I have tried different ram, removed the graphics card , sata drive rather than the m2 for windows, reseated the processor.

Please see the attached files as requested

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @leogecko  

Thank you for the information provided. 

I will proceed to do some research about this, as soon as I have updates, I will post them here right away. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @leogecko  

Thank you for your time. 

We noticed in your report that your memory frequency is 3600 MHz, and your processor supports a memory frequency of 3200 MHz for DDR4, so your memory frequency is set up more than the limit. You can check more details about your processor at this link: Intel® Core™ i5-13600K Processor  

For this reason, please load the BIOS defaults to set the memory speed within processor specifications. 

Also, I would like to let you know that altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components and may reduce system stability and performance. If the processor is used outside of its specifications, the manufacturer's warranty may be voided. Check the following website for further details about XMP, in the "Performance and Product information": What is XMP? 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
leogecko
Beginner
In the last going on off so I used a board feature "memory try it" that detected the Ram and thats the setting, I did not save I guess when I changed it back.  I get the same problem when I use the default board settings and SPD of the ram at 2400mhz. I also tried xmp as well as 2133 ram with the same results. I am away today, I will reset the bios tomorrow and regenerate the logs. I have swapped the power supply with no luck. 
Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your response.

Please let us know as soon as you have the reports in order to continue with the assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
leogecko
Beginner

HI

Attached are the reports after a cmos reset.  The only thing I changed was setting the turbo to off ,  the PC will blue screen with in 10 seconds of starting windows desktop most times, sometimes I do not make it that far.   

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your reply.

I will keep working on this. As soon as there is an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Maicondasilva
Beginner

Hi, i'm having the exact same problem with a brand new PC. Only works with Turbo Boost turned off.

My config is:

CPU i5 13600KF

MSI B660M-A PRO WIFI DDR4

2X DDR4 KINGSTON FURY BEAST 3600MHZ 32GB (64gb)

COOLER MASTER 800W GOLD

RTX 3700 GAINWARD

Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @leogecko

Thank you for your time. 

Since we have tried all the steps so far, you need to contact your System Manufacturer for further assistance with this issue. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
HectorSequeira
Beginner

Hey are you still having this issue? If so, could you try re-enabling turbo boost? but disable "enhanced boost" (Change from auto to disable).
Also I would recommend you disable XMP and set the timings manually (voltage as well).
If you are using Windows 11, you could also try disabling TPM (if the previous settings didn't help)

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes if you try it.

0 Kudos
leogecko
Beginner

HI

Thanks for the reply. I am still having the issue. I have tried all of it with no luck.  I am running windows 10. I was running 11 and had the same issues.  

I am open to any suggestions at this point.  

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Maicondasilva
Beginner

I have the same problem and after all its the CPU problem.

Sended to warranty, here in Brazil, Intel sended me a new one and now it works great!

0 Kudos
HectorSequeira
Beginner

So looks like I was finally able to solve this issue. Unfortunately, I tried a few things and I'm not sure which of them fixed it, however, I'm going to list everything I did to solve it (at least what worked for me, hopefully it helps someone else)

My specs:
i5 13600K
MAG Tomahawk Z690 Wifi DDR4
RAM Tridentz NEO @3600 CL18 (not in the supported Mobo RAM list)
Noctua Air Cooler

I even got new memory; I got a set which was in the official MSI supported list but even so I kept getting the bluescreens with Turbo boost enabled. (no XMP)

*I'm not really sure if this first part mattered but I'm going to mention it anyway just in case*
- I had added an additional Noctua PWM fan to my air cooler (different RPM cooler) to improve temps and plugged with a Y split to the motherboard along with the other fan. So I removed one of these fans on the CPU cooler and installed a same model fan so now the two fans are exactly the same. (I guess this won't apply if you are using a default liquid cooling system)

Now this is the part where I started modifying a few settings:
- Disabled Fast boot from BIOS (Settings > Boot)
- I went into the BIOS and changed the cooling type to "Boxed Cooler" (Advanced > OC > CPU Cooler Tunnig) (it was set to Water Cooler by default) just to test. By doing this it lowered the TDP (Turbo boost is enabled at this point). Went into the advance CPU settings and set the CPU Lite Load to 5 (a type of power limit too)
I waited and didn't get any bluescreens when Windows started so I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool and it passed!! Before, it kept crashing at the "Math" test.
Max power draw was around 180W

- I went into the BIOS and set the cooling type to "Tower cooling" which would limit the TDP to around 288W max. Again, windows started normally so I ran the Processor Diagnostic Tool and it passed just fine once again. Max power draw was about 195W.

I've been running other stress tests, gaming and no more crashes so far.

0 Kudos
leogecko
Beginner

Hi Hector

Wow thanks for the info!.   All info helps!!. I We have pretty similar setups, same MB , CPU and ram speed. I have the tforce ram that that is in the list .  I have tried everything except for the CPU light load, I will be trying that.  . I am using an MSI water AIO water cooler . I am going to give your settings a hook. Interesting we have same parts and have same problem.  

Thanks again for posting, much appreciated !!

0 Kudos