Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

13700KF Balance plan

Aaron43
Beginner

Hello, new here.

I have done a new build, 13700kf,  asus z790f, ddr5 5600.

I have always set my power plan to balanced but when i do that with this build my cpu clock (p-core) will sit at 5.3ghz when at idle and no load. Utilization is at 0.2-0.8 at 5.3 clock

The only way to get the cpu to idle is to put it in power saver plan. 

Everything is updated, drivers are installed.

Bios is upto date and is at default settings apart from XMP for my ram.

Is this how Power plans work now or is there a setting that is wrong by default ?

I'm not great in the bios so don't go crazy technical on me

Tia 

Aaron

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Aaron43
Beginner

I have tried different settings on the package c state and asus multicore enhancement , I still get full speed at idle on balanced plan.

No idea if this is how it's meant to be. 

0 Kudos
kmarc
Novice

On my 13700k with Asrock z690, balance plan will still downclock pcores to 1.1Ghz and Ecores to 0.8Ghz but only at full idle without anything going on.

Power saving plan is not good as it will limit your maximum speed to 2.5Ghz and not 5.3 Ghz.

There are too many reasons why your CPU is not idling at lower speeds. It is impossible to cover everything so I think it is better if you google for the answer. I had the same problem initially and found that installing certain software will do that e.g. Intel Extreme Tuning utility.

0 Kudos
Aaron43
Beginner

I was in power saver only when I was browsing, back to balanced when gaming.

Right now i'm in balanced and my clocks are idling as normal, I think i found the problem, I use Steam and it opens on the store page, when steam is open my cpu is pegged at 5.3, changing page or minimizing my cpu will idle, WTH man.

0 Kudos