Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

2 x Intel Xeon E5-2450L setup running 2 x 16 GB DDR3 at 1866 Mhz?

m3kieal
Beginner

Hi,

I see that the specified processor supports only up to 1600 Mhz of DDR3 RAM, however I placed 2 x 16 GB DDR3 1866 Mhz in my server running with 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2450L and the RAM is detected as 1866 Mhz in the task manager and seems to be running at that speed. So, my question is that really possible? I guess the first Intel Xeon E5-2450L processors were made to support up to 1600 Mhz but later that was changed or how is it possible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The processors are simply using the 1833 XMP profile that is provided by the DIMMs. Now, Intel only warrants the operation of their processor to the speeds that they validate. In this case, this is 1600MHz. When it runs as a speed higher than is validated by Intel, you are technically overclocking the memory buses in the processors. This is not guaranteed to work. There are all sorts of factors that come into play. Most important is the motherboard design and its protection against noise, signal reflection, etc. Bottom line, you likely are ok -- but I recommend that you run a 24-hour test using a tool like MemTest86+ to verify the memory's operation at this speed.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SergioS_Intel

Hello m3kieal,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

Can you please provide us with the model of your server board?

Additionally, please provide us with the model of the memory that you are using.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The processors are simply using the 1833 XMP profile that is provided by the DIMMs. Now, Intel only warrants the operation of their processor to the speeds that they validate. In this case, this is 1600MHz. When it runs as a speed higher than is validated by Intel, you are technically overclocking the memory buses in the processors. This is not guaranteed to work. There are all sorts of factors that come into play. Most important is the motherboard design and its protection against noise, signal reflection, etc. Bottom line, you likely are ok -- but I recommend that you run a 24-hour test using a tool like MemTest86+ to verify the memory's operation at this speed.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos