Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

4790K doesn't POST anymore.

ABARN8
Beginner

Hello

I've had quite a lot of problems with my 4790K for a while now, mainly my computer not booting (fan spinning, red cpu led turned on), on my Asus Z97-A.

I changed the motherboard, the PSU and the RAM, it didn't help, and putting an i5-4670 seems to solve the problem.

I'm quite surprised as I've never OCed the chip, and when the computer did indeed boot (whenever I felt it unplugged for 10+ hours I had a good chance of booting normally), the processor performed/behaved as normal, even under load.

Temps are good too (replaced with a better cooler).

Is there any way for me to pinpoint what is wrong ?

Testing it on another board (MSI H97 PC Mate) doesn't boot either.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Manoko

Thank you for joining the community.

Could you provide the model of the PSU and model/part number of the memory RAM?

Did the CPU work on your system?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
ABARN8
Beginner

Thanks for answering !

My PSU is a new EVGA Supernova G2 750W. But switching PSU doesn't help, my Corsair one also gives the same problem.

My RAM model is a 2x8G of Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9. The problem appears if I switch it to another RAM brand/model/frequency too.

Basically, my computer used to not POST randomly, fan spinning 100% and not rebooting on its own, just blocked at that stage with no display (and the red led for CPU on on my motherboard (Asus Z97-A)).

Now it just doesn't want to POST anymore, when it was once possible with a certain number of tries. I tried with only CPU/RAM and PSU, outside of the case, and the problem still persists.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Manoko

Thank you for your response.

Allow me to share with you that with the information provided I don't see any comparability issue on your system, in this case since you have mentioned that the system used to work with some random no post I would recommend to review the motherboard's incoming voltages provided by the PSU as possible cause of the damage. In case you need assistance with test options I recommend contacting the manufacturer of the motherboard.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
ABARN8
Beginner

I already verified this, and nothing is out of the ordinary (with both of my PSUs: Corsair CX750 and EVGA Supernova G2).

Replacing my 4790k with my spare 4670 solves the problem (same motherboard, same PSU, same everything except the CPU), the computer POSTs normally.

That's precisely why I came to the Intel forums for help. :/

0 Kudos
ABARN8
Beginner

I'll also add: doing the same at my friend's house (I even suspected the electrical setup of my house) produces the same results. No POST with my 4790k.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello

Looking into possible causes of the damage caused to the processor, I can mention a high peak of current, a default BIOS setting form the motherboard manufacturer, system incomparability, possible defective processor.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
ABARN8
Beginner

"I can mention a high peak of current, a default BIOS setting form the motherboard manufacturer"

Both of those would have had an impact on the transistors on the underside of the CPU right ? Because I checked to see if any seemed to be damaged, and they all look fine. The motherboard is an Asus Z97-A, the default settings in the bios aren't out of the ordinary regarding voltages, and I never tried any voltage outside of the recommended ones for my 4790k.

It really looks like the processor was defective, unfortunately...

Thanks for your help though.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Manoko

I would advise reviewing if the Processor is still under warranty please refer to the following link.

https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo

If the product is under the warranty period you can contact by Phone or chat, for contact information please refer to the following link.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @2 https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @2

I have sent you a private message; please see your private inbox.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
ABARN8
Beginner

Looks like I'm really out of luck, the warranty has apparently expired last October... That sucks since I've had this problem for much longer than that, much earlier, but just didn't manage to pinpoint that it was the CPU that was defective.

Well, thank you again.

0 Kudos