Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

6700k drops to 0.8ghz

PSand5
Beginner

Hi.

My 6700k recently droped/locked to 0.8ghz on boot, so I have to enter bios and reset to default - which fixes it for a while until next boot some days later or the day after. Cpu voltage seems to drop also from 1.200 to 0.800ish

I did run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool after reset to default and it passed the test.

The CPU, CPU cooler, MB and DDR are all new, bought in December 2016.

System:

i7-6700k @4.0ghz

Msi Mpower Gaming titanium

Zotac GeForce 970Corsair Dominator DDR4 3200Mhz 16GB

Corsair H115i cooler

Corsair TX750M PSU (old... 5-6y.o)

Samsung EVO 850 SSD 500gb

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TGrab1
New Contributor III

I would check for a bios update. It definitely seems related to a bios issue. Could even be something as simple as a bad CMOS battery, but generally that would just reset you to default settings instead of vastly underclocked ones.

How long have you had this setup before these problems started? Did you do anything prior that could have triggered this behavior? For example if you removed the CPU and it bent a pin it could cause similar issues. If you have not altered anything about your system and the problem occurred, then I would check for a bios update.

If there is no bios update and the problem persists I would try reaching out to your motherboard manufacturer. I just don't see this being a CPU related issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ploppopp,

I would also recommend updating your chipset driver which you can find here; http://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/intel_chipse_9_w10.zip http://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/intel_chipse_9_w10.zip

TGrable, thank you these suggestions.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/114380 ploppopp, hope you were able to follow the suggestion mentioned above.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
PSand5
Beginner

I updated the chipset, which kinda worked out, now my CPU is always on 4000mhz only dropping to like 3700mhz for some seconds when idle. Temp is still low around 37c.

Bios is up to date.

I have contacted my dealership over phone and they are unsure of the problem and want me to send in both my motherboard and cpu for testing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/114380 ploppopp, sending motherboard and CPU for testing is a good idea, is possible that from your description they diagnosed some behaviors and want more information about it.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos