Processors
Processors (Intel® Core™, Intel® Xeon®, etc); processor utilities and programs (Intel® Processor Identification Utility, Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, Intel® Easy Streaming Wizard, etc.)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11685 Discussions

7700hq Slow on battery at 800MHz

MCout4
Beginner

When I run the laptop pluged in, it's all fine. CPU base Freq is 2.8GHz but manages to stay around 3.50GHz.

When I unplug the power, the fun starts. I mean stops. It would drop to 1.5GHz then 800Mhz and stay there as long as I have a little load. Exemple, if nothing is running, it will go back to 1.5 ish but as soon as I start something, Chrome for exemple, it goes down to 800MHz. It is so slow that you can't even watch a Youtube video. At 800MHz, the CPU load in task manager refuse to go above 20% or so I think.

I tried disabling Intel Speedstep, update all drivers, play with minimum CPU freq. in power management, reinstall Windows from scratch I even unplugged the battery for a while as suggested in another post. Disabling the dGPU... No luck.

The computer is almost unusable on battery.

Intel Extreme tuning utility reports constant Power Limit Throttling on battery.

I have the i7 7700hq model, Dell inspiron 7757. Windows 10. I know this CPU is power hungry but I am suspecting a setting that is wrong. I would gladely accept a speed reduction, but at least to be able to surf the web or watch a Youtube movie.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

My gut is saying look for errors in the BIOS Configuration. I would first try setting it back to defaults and see if that frees it up.

...S