Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14398 Discussions

7th-Generation i7-7700k Downclocking to .80 ghz

JSlat
Beginner

Hi all,

I've noticed a couple people with a similar question to mine, but I've yet to see a solid answer from the community or the mods, so hopefully this thread can obtain one.

I've had this processor for about a year now, and for almost the entire duration of its operation, it has an issue where it will downclock itself to .80ghz from its normal operating range of 4.2-4.5ghz. I have noticed that it almost always happens if it reaches an uptime of around 12-24 hours, i.e., any sort of extended duration. It does not matter if I put the computer to sleep or keep it running, it will still downclock. The only way to prevent the downclock and the only way to fix it is to shut down, throw the kill switch, and let it sit for a while.

I have tried just about everything I can think of to remedy this issue: updated drivers, updated BIOS, reset to optimized BIOS, freshly installed windows, ran Intel's diagnostic tests, monitored my CPU's frequency over the course of 10 or so hours of work yesterday with the graphs from the extreme tuning utility, and nothing has fixed the issue. I am at a loss and would appreciate some solid feedback so I can be done with this problem.

I have all but ruled out thermal throttling, given that my computer at idle never exceeds 24-28 degrees C, and even when fully stress tested using multiple 3rd party apps, including ETU, it doesn't exceed 55-58 degrees C under full load. Please see the attached picture for reference.

Pertinent Parameters:

CPU: 7th-gen i7-7700k stock clocked w/ turbo boost enabled at 4.2-4.5ghz

Mobo: MSI z270 m7

BIOS Version: 1.30

CPU Cooler: EVGA 280 mm CLC

GPU: MSI GTX 1080ti

PSU: Corsair hx750i Platinum Certified

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb, stock clocked

Many thanks,

JPS

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Jpslattery1993,

I understand that you are having problems with the processor since it is showing that it runs at 0.80Ghz.

Being that the case, the first thing that must be done is to run test with the Intel ® Processor Diagnostic tool which you can download from the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

This will show the frequency, the expected and the reported. This would be a good start to determine if the processor is actually increasing the frequency when needed or not. Also, please check under "power settings" and select the option "High performance" to see if that changes the problem.

Let me know the outcome.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
JSlat
Beginner

Hi David

Please see the attached note file for the results of the Diagnostic Test. I download the test on every computer I build, and have run it multiple times since this problem started occurring. As you can see, it passes everything with flying colors. Additionally, I always have my power profile on high performance, and it is not the solution either. The problem continues to occur.

Unfortunately I think it is going to take more than the standard solutions to fix this problem. It's particularly troublesome given that it only occurs after extended use, so the only way to test if a solution actually helps is if I keep my computer running until I break the 12-24 hour threshold that I mentioned in my OP to see if the dip happens. I believe it's some sort of throttling, and the CPU is unable to recover from it once it happens, but I can't figure out exactly why it won't recover or what type of throttling it is. I've even run the ETU for over 10+ hours, with only one instance of thermal throttling that I witnessed, but again that makes almost no sense to me because my temperatures at idle never exceed 28 C and even under full load never exceed 60 C. Furthermore, when the ETU indicated there was thermal throttling, the CPU was running in its normal range, not dipping anywhere near the .80ghz that I'm experiencing otherwise.

Please let me know if you need anything else from me, as I would like to fix this issue as soon as possible, so I can use my computer without interruption. Thank you.

JPS

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rccam5tnqk5ovkg/TESTRESULTS%203-14-2018.TXT?dl=0 Dropbox - TESTRESULTS 3-14-2018.TXT

0 Kudos
JSlat
Beginner

Hi again David,

Just wanted to follow up again here. I've left my computer running all day, updated to the latest BIOS (Version 1.6), and my processor has downclocked itself again, more quickly than it ever has before. Please see the links below. The IPDT incorrectly passes my processor and lists the frequency at almost 4.2ghz, despite the fact that both Task Manager and ETU display it at .80ghz, and I can tell by how slowly things are moving that it is indeed stuck at .80. ETU also indicates thermal throttling, which again makes no sense given that it also shows the package temp at 25 degrees C. Can someone please let me know why I would be getting such conflicting results from your software and from my Task Manager? What could possibly cause thermal throttling at such low temps, and what would cause my CPU to refuse to return to its normal clock speed when the package temp is indeed incredibly low compared to what it is supposed to be able to handle?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qx9ktj2ze08tewo/TESTRESULTS%203-14-2018%20at%20.80ghz.TXT?dl=0 Dropbox - TESTRESULTS 3-14-2018 at .80ghz.TXT

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7gdkkel5zo7cq0e/ETU%20Thermal%20Throttling.png?dl=0 Dropbox - ETU Thermal Throttling.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nz1malvw3okxeie/IPDT%20Pass%20Despite%20.80ghz.png?dl=0 Dropbox - IPDT Pass Despite .80ghz.png

Many thanks,

JPS

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jpslattery1993,

Thank you for your response,

Since the processor diagnostic shows that the processor reaches the actual frequency then it means that the Intel ® Turbo Boost technology is managing the frequency.

This technology only increases the frequency of the processor when required. For example when it is running a stress test, the unit will increase the frequency to properly allow the program to run, same happens with other applications, games, etc.

This technology can be deactivated from the BIOS of the computer, it is highly recommendable to get in contact with the manufacturer so they can guide you and tell you if it is possible to be disabled.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
JSlat
Beginner

Hi David,

Thank you for your response.

I am aware that Turbo Boost is managing the frequency, or at the very least, it's attempting to do so. Again, unfortunately it isn't as simple as just requiring my computer to do something computationally intensive to get it to resume its proper clock speed, which is the entire point I've been trying to get across in our discussion, so perhaps let me be as clear as I can:

When the CPU downclocks to .80ghz, no matter what I do, no matter what task I run, it does not return to 4.00+ ghz, as it should. Somehow, the IPDT showed it running at 4.1ghz, but right after it showed that, I ran a stress test on the ETU, and the clock speed never exceeded .80ghz. Even during the IPDT, I had the Task Manager open, as you can see from my previously attached images, and it never showed anything above .80ghz, yet it should if the CPU was truly running at 4.1ghz and under full-load as per the IPDT.

I hope the actual problem is clear now. When this issue occurs, the CPU locks itself at .80ghz, regardless of what IPDT is indicating, and even running computationally intense tasks, e.g., gaming, etc., does not allow for it to return to its normal clock speed, as indicated by the ETU and Task Manager. The only solution has been to shut down the computer completely and reboot after an hour or so, usually longer.

I am also aware that Turbo Boost can be disabled from the BIOS. I'm fairly familiar with several of the BIOS options with respect to throttling, speed step, etc., and that was one of the first things I tried several months ago when this issue starting happening, yet that too does not solve the problem. Some other form of throttling is occurring, which is locking the processor and refusing to let it return to acceptable speeds.

Additionally, I shouldn't have to disable Turbo Boost to get my CPU to run properly, should I? That seems to defeat the purpose of having it as an option in the first place. If we cannot resolve this issue here, perhaps there is someone else with whom I can speak, or perhaps I should begin the RMA process for this chip?

For reference, I built an almost identical computer to mine for my wife a couple of months after mine was finished. I set it up the same way software wise, BIOS wise, etc., and she hasn't had this problem. I haven't had to disable Turbo Boost. I haven't had to mess around in the BIOS to try to reduce or modify throttling settings, and I haven't had to touch the BCLK or any of the minute details of the CPU's fundamental operations. Thus, I'm starting to believe more and more that the chip itself is flawed and an RMA would be the best option. I look forward to your response.

JPS

0 Kudos
BigJoTA
Beginner

Hello all,

I have been searching and finally found exactly the same problem i'm having about 1 month ago, when it started to happen - It is exactly like @JSlat described. 
I also have done everything what @JSlat mentioned and still got the issue. No clue what to do more.

Have you found a solution? @JSlat 
Have you went foward with the RMA process for the chip

Best regards,
JT

0 Kudos
jpslattery1993
Beginner

Hi JoTA,

I did indeed RMA my chip, but it actually turned out to be the motherboard. Even with the RMA'd chip, I was still having the issue, so I swapped motherboards to an ASUS ROG Hero, and everything has worked perfectly since. Hope this helps.

Regards,

JSlat

0 Kudos
BigJoTA
Beginner

Hey @jpslattery1993 ,

Thank you for your response. That idea had already crossed my mind, but never admitted that that was the problem... Because everything else works fine, except the CPU...

I have too an MSI, a Z170A gaming m5. I'll look foward to swap and see if it really works for me. 
It really helped, thank you again! 

Regards,
JT

0 Kudos
jpslattery1993
Beginner

You're very welcome. It may just be an artifact of the way certain MSI boards manage the speeds of these chips. As I mentioned, my wife's build was virtually identical to mine, and her MSI board has never caused issues for her i7-7700k. Hope your problem goes away with a different board!

Regards,

JSlat

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jpslattery1993,

Thank you for your response,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
JSlat
Beginner

Hi David,

Thanks for sending along the message and for your continued assistance.

All the best,

Justin

0 Kudos