Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

8700K doesn't exceeds 4.3 Ghz on stock

apati7
Beginner

Hello,

Just bought a new 8700k and The problem is: its max speed is 4.3 Ghz when the advertised speed is up to 4.7/4.6 when not all cores are pushed.

But is doesn't go above 4.3 Ghz no matter what i do, even in single core tasks! I have 850W psu and the temps are fine, 30's on idle 50's when gaming..

My motherboard is: GIGABYTE Z370 gaming 5, and the bios settings all look normal (everything is on auto.

I run HWmonitor constantly, but the max frequency never go above 4.3 ghz.

What could be wrong? Am i missing something? I my cup broken?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, patishi

I understand you would like to know why your processor is not reaching more than 4.3 GHz of frequency since it is supposed to reach 4.7. Please allow me to help you regarding this issue you are facing.

Indeed the processor is capable to reach 4.7 GHz when it needs to, it does not necessarily need to be constantly working at this frequency. The fact that your processor is not reaching this frequency does not mean that it is broken or that you are missing something, it is just that it does not need to reach it; it will only work at the frequency that it needs to cover the tasks you are running, in this case 4.3 GHz.

Antony S.

0 Kudos
apati7
Beginner

Thank for the reply antony,

excuse me but this sounds a little odd to me, maybe you can elaborate. You say that the CPU decides that he "needs" only 4.3 Ghz in order to complete certain tasks. But why stop there? why not 4.5, 4.6, 4.7...this way it can do those tasks much faster.

Isn't this the purpose of turbo boost? It just seems odd to me that it stops at 4.3 and not 3.9..or 4 Ghz. 4.3 is the max 6 cores boost frequency, and it just decides to stay there and not go above that.

It is weird that it's never ever...ever! gets to go beyond 4.3, no matter what program I run..be it a single core, dual core, quad core...

is there anyway that I can try and stress single core (or two core) to see if the turbo actually work? I kind of have a feeling that something is wrong with turbo boost (probably not cpu's fault..but maybe motherboard).

EDIT: I ran Asus "RealBench" benchmark which suppose to stress the full cpu cores range as well as one or two cores individually, and still HWmonitor shows 4.3 Ghz on all cores. there is obviously a problem with my turbo boost, it doesn't work for some reason.

I just don't know why.

Thx.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, patishi

Thank you very much for your reply.

As I previously mentioned, the processor will not necessarily need to reach its max frequency if it does not require to. That is actually the purpose of the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, to increase or decrease the frequency of the processor, between specifications, as the system requires to. Remember that the maximum frequency is the speed the processor can reach, it does not mean that it will be constantly working at that frequency

Antony S.

0 Kudos
apati7
Beginner

Hi,

I just wanted to mention that I did find the problem. As it turns out, my motherboard (Gigabyte z370 auros gaming 5) disables (*note) the c states when turning xmp on, and because of that turbo boost didn't worked correctly (turbo boost needs the c states in order to give the cores that are actually working to operate at their full potential, it does that by "parking" the other cores that aren't working). So I enabled C3,C6,C7 states and now it is working correctly. I knew something was fishy!

*note: The motherboard not exactly disables c-states, they are still on "Auto" (that's why I was so confused and couldn't figure out the problem) but it just decides not to use them whenever xmp was enabled. I discovered this by disabling xmp and saw that turbo boost worked correctly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, patishi

It is really good to hear that your system is running as you expected now.

Antony S.

0 Kudos