Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

8700k laptop thermal issue

hliu34
Beginner

I just got my clevo laptop from AVA direct with 8700k, and 1080 gtx, the cooling is not nearly as good as the clevo chassis from sager with the 6700k laptop that I have. it could also be the extra cores. in the spec sheet the max temp is 100C, with default setting, and max cooling fans, the CPU is hovering between 70-90+, which is well over my liking.

in my search, it looks like people either delidded the CPU which they claim up to 20c drop in temp. this is something that I'm not so sure if it would produce the result.

so far, i'm under volting the CPU and keeping the multiplier around 43 for all 6 cores, and raise the cache multiplier to 39, which under 70% load, the temp is around 65-75; still higher than I would like.

if this was a desktop, liquid cooling, or water cooling would be my solution, but with laptop, I don't know that many options.

I don't think repasting the heat sink and CPU would help drop 15+C, maybe liquid metal. but is that safe for the CPU, I've read most of the data sheet, I know the content of most liquid metal packages can be corrosive to semi-conductor parts, but not to the CPU or head sink.

are there any other ways to keep the temp down, or it's just one of the draw backs of having a 8700k in a laptop?

any input would be helpful.

thanks,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello hanky.liu,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

Having a dedicated GPU and the processor your system has will definitely generate a fair amount of heat. Are you running demanding applications or games? This will definitely result in heat increase, too.

In this case, make sure that the heat sink is the appropriate for your processor. I would also recommend you to get a laptop cooler. It can be an option in case of high CPU utilization.

Now, you may use liquid metal thermal grease, but you have to apply it correctly.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
hliu34
Beginner

Hello Wanner,

it is a laptop built by AVA direct with the CLEVO chassis, I don't have much control over the heat sink.

From looking at it, appears to be some thick copper heat sinks for both GPU and CPU, but the dense copper slits, also appears to cause some back flow with the fan pushing the heat out.

I have laptop top cooler that I've modded, but, air cooling can only go so far.

I use the laptop top for CAD, matlab type of applications. the GPU is ok with the 3D application, it only heats up when I use P-mode in matlab for large data, or integrating 3d model to the data in real time.

II can apply liquid metal, but i don't know if it will bring the CPU temp down to the 50-60s under 80% load....

the cooling system is not how I would've designed it and I would've chose different material and surface treatment to help with the heat transfer and shielding.

so for the CPU to operated in the 70-80, some times higher, it's acceptable?

or should I be look at liquid metal, and modding the cooling system all in all?

thanks,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hanky.liu,

If temperature is within specifications and if you are not experiencing any performance issues, then it is fine.

I would like to take a look at your system. Please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Then, attach the report.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
hliu34
Beginner

Hello Wanner,

I'm having trouble installing the intel diagnostic, it kept failing with microsoft visual C++ 2015, when i tried to install it separately, it would end with error that another version is installed.

attached is a system summary by speccy if this helps, thanks,

henry

0 Kudos
hliu34
Beginner

hello Wanner, I finally got intel diagnostic tool install and attached is the test result file.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hanky.liu,

Thank you for your response.

Having an i7-8700K processor in a mobile form factor definitely requires proper thermal management, which is your main concern. The report that you attached shows that your processor is working fine and that it is capable of generating a fair amount of heat because of this and the demanding applications you may be running.

I believe that the temperatures your processor/system is reporting are expected mainly because of how your system was built; they are acceptable. Now, using liquid metal thermal grease may have its drawbacks. Although it may perform better than any traditional thermal solution, I would not use it on your system. Instead, I would continue monitoring the temperature and CPU usage for a while.

I also recommend you to contact your laptop manufacturer to know if they have any feasible option. As you were saying, having a laptop may limit the active cooling solutions available, and they are more sophisticated.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos