14506 Discussions

9900K won't turbo boost to 5Ghz with 1ms Timer resolution

Wagnard
Beginner

Hi,

here is the specs:

Asus Strix Z390-H bios: 2401

Windows 10 Pro 64 (1903 , 18362.113)

I have found an odd issue. If the the Current timer resolution is 1ms (set by some application ex: Steam, Google Chrome, Intel extreme tuning utility,etc...) The turbo boost wont hit 5ghz ever.

The moment the timer go back to 15ms, the CPU will boost to 5GHz.

Most bios settings at default.

I tested also with my Intel NUC skull canyon and a Asus laptop and I don't see this behavior.

What is wrong?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello Wagnard

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

I am noticing that you are currently using the Windows® 10 Pro 64 (1903, 18362.113) which is as Windows insider built and all issues present while using this beta operating system (OS) Built have to be reported to Microsoft. What we recommend using a released OS built (RS5 1809).   

Regards,

Leonardo C.                        

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Wagnard
Beginner

It's not the insider build or beta ! It's the official build from MSDN.

Same version as available today on Microsoft site.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello Wagnard

Thank you for the update about the Windows® 10 builds.

In order to look into the behavior that you are having please provide me with a video of how are you changing the current timer resolution from 1 ms to 15 ms?

Please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (Intel® PDT) on the system while you have set the current timer resolution in 1 ms and provide me the TXT result files.

Reference link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Wagnard
Beginner

Here is the test result while running at 1ms.

A video is not necessary.

The way to change the timer resolution is handled by windows.

To make it change to 1ms , having Steam(http://www.steampowered.com) loaded is enough.

TO make it go back to 15ms, close as much application as possible.

Depending on what is running on the background, usually when all application are closed. That is standard Windows stuff.

There are multiple application that allow you to see the current timer resolution.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello Wagnard

Thank you for the information and the test results.

After looking into the test results the frequency and temperatures are working within the specifications on the    

Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/186605/intel-core-i9-9900k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html). In regards to the changes of frequency this happens due to of the Intel® Turbo Boost technology that would increase or decrease the frequency the pending of the system workload and need. in the case for your Intel® processor the frequency can increase up to 5GHz, but this does not mean that the Intel® processor will work at 5 GHz all the time.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Wagnard
Beginner

Looks like you misunderstood something,

I'm not asking to have a 5Ghz all the time.

The problem I'm reporting is that the processor cores will NEVER get to 5Ghz when the timer is at 1ms.

The moment I make the timer go back to 15Ms, I can see some processor going to 5Ghz from time to time according to system load as per Turbo Boost technology specs.

0 Kudos
Wagnard
Beginner

EDIT: Found the exact culprit.

If I uninstall the Realtek audio driver, the system work normally.

As soon as I install the driver back, I have the issue mentioned at 1ms.

To be even more precise, it's the Nahimic processes.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello Wagnard

Thank you for the information.

What I am trying to clarify is that the Intel® processor is going to reach 5GHz when it is needed depending on the system needs, as you have mentioned the Intel® processor is reaching 5GHz and according to the test results, the Intel® processor is working under specifications.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos